Immemorial
Ageless
OG 2020
Prophet
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Mar 31, 2020
I think there has been talk about Familiars before. Will there be familiars in the game? If so what kind might we see? Combat types? Would there be symbiote parasites or sentient weapons? Discuss

Last edited:
Reactions: Denis Dyack
I think you do several classes to get the different kinds you mentioned. You could do a Shaman for living combat familiars such as cats, wolves things like that. The familiar distracting the enemy while you cast spells. Then an enchanter or weapon master the could have multiple weapons going, such as several floating swords that help with their DPS or shields that help with defense. The parasites could be a class for Xenohaus, like a plaugebearer kind of class that causes damage over time, or debuffs possibly even haveing a parasite that can infect an enemy that eventually turns them into a better familiar.

Reactions: Capt.Cutthroat
Outside the gaming world, familiars were animals used by wizards as a vessel for their soul when they were working in the astral plane (or something), so I was thinking, a cool idea would be to use familiars in dhs as phylacteries or a way to interact with phylacteries!

As far as parasites/symbiotes go I think it would be cool to have a familiar that can drain your enemies health and either heal you with it or store it to lvl up the familiar.

Outside the gaming world, familiars were animals used by wizards as a vessel for their soul when they were working in the astral plane (or something), so I was thinking, a cool idea would be to use familiars in dhs as phylacteries or a way to interact with phylacteries!
If your phylactery were to be damaged or destroyed it could lead to being stunned would be a good downside for that one. Also depending on what you chose as a familiar could decide how much essence you could put into it, larger or stronger being capable of housing more but moving slower. Another thing that could be done is have the familiars alter some spell stats. Such as having a familiar that increases casting range, one that increases the damage, or one that can reduce casting times.

In our write your own character background I made my Liche Merric's phylactery/familiars the rat skeletons that covered his body like armor; and whenever his vessel was destroyed they'd move to another corpse, raising it as his new one.

An Idea for the parasite/symbiote you could have each piece of armor being a different creature to itself that you have to feed in order to power them up. Like a weapon being a different creature that you need to feed, and then chest slot armor, that kinda thing. Then you could send them out removing that part of armor but giving you a "familiar" that helps in combat, or it could attach to an enemy making them work for you.

An Idea for the parasite/symbiote you could have each piece of armor being a different creature to itself that you have to feed in order to power them up. Like a weapon being a different creature that you need to feed, and then chest slot armor, that kinda thing. Then you could send them out removing that part of armor but giving you a "familiar" that helps in combat, or it could attach to an enemy making them work for you.
That sounds like an outstanding idea.

With all the cats that will be added the cats could easily act as familiars too. Maybe giving perks/bonuses to skills or attributes. Probably not much a combat type familiar though lol. Unless they do some random insta kill as a joke/secret.

Reactions: TheHighCheeseMonger