By Ryan McCaffreyDenis Dyack – creator of Legacy of Kain, Eternal Darkness, and Too Human – has announced a new game, called Deadhaus Sonata, from his new development studio, Apocalypse. It’ll be a free-to-play action-RPG for PC and “targeting all platforms.” And according to Dyack, it will blend the best of what he’s done before.
Read the full article here.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Hey! Was wondering what was up this is Freya from the old forums... new game looks good! I wasn't necessarily expecting a full revamp like this until I went searching for Quantum videos only to find it had all changed to Apocalypse...

I must admit my first reaction was someone had stolen the company >< but now I get it and things seem good.

I've been really busy IRL but never not to follow games and support my favorite hobby, heres to a successful launch!

I think most people's interpretations is that it feels very Kain-y a bit, older-ish Silicon Knights style which people like a lot. Also I can't help but say I thought of the Ephesus ruins with the whole Parthenon building there, so that was neat.

Also these forums work well and everything, I'm pretty sure people realize this by now but the older hardcore video game fan community is still alive on a number of different levels, we aren't all on phones playing this or that.

I'm sure with time as people become more aware there will be more and more engagement, like as long as people are making choices they can choose to support the hardcore styles veruss the more casual games, and I think most people have just been waiting for some of the Angry Birds era to slow down a bit.

On another level, I'm sure people here saw like the Metroid Prime 4 announcement, WOW! I didn't think they'd be getting back to stuff like that for Nintendo, so that's cool too.

Well that's all I got for now, I'll be excited watching for announcements and the news stream, especially as gaming continues to evolve what with increasing personal interactions over video and such as opposed to the old everyone at the big conventions approach.

I guess if I said one final thing, it's probably that I still support the old game magazines for press and support, as I still have a subscription even now to Game Informer, maybe not everyones favorite magazine per se but it's kinda like one of the few ones left.. but I've been using it still.

Er kinda a tangent at the end, anyway, hope everyone gets here and has a good time!

Last edited:
Hey! Was wondering what was up this is Freya from the old forums

Heyo, good to see you back! I have missed your tangents :p

We recently had this topic about mobile vs. hardcore on Discord when the thing about Diablo Eternal came up. Did you see that?? Blizzard announced a mobile game in a longstanding series of (primarily) PC games, to an audience made up of their hardcore fans. They are not very pleased and ask if it's an out-of-season April fool's joke, or if it's going to have a PC release later. Blizzard doesn't understand what the big deal is and asks if none of those core PC gamers have phones... good times.

Anyway, everyone on Discord was on board that this was pretty bad PR by Blizzard, and we had some cool insight by Jacques from G-ScalE about their scientific research on different games working (or not working) on different mediums. Exciting stuff, I hope we'll see you around on there :)

Reactions: Kefka1134
Hey! Was wondering what was up this is Freya from the old forums... new game looks good! I wasn't necessarily expecting a full revamp like this until I went searching for Quantum videos only to find it had all changed to Apocalypse...

I must admit my first reaction was someone had stolen the company >< but now I get it and things seem good.

I've been really busy IRL but never not to follow games and support my favorite hobby, heres to a successful launch!

I think most people's interpretations is that it feels very Kain-y a bit, older-ish Silicon Knights style which people like a lot. Also I can't help but say I thought of the Ephesus ruins with the whole Parthenon building there, so that was neat.

Also these forums work well and everything, I'm pretty sure people realize this by now but the older hardcore video game fan community is still alive on a number of different levels, we aren't all on phones playing this or that.

I'm sure with time as people become more aware there will be more and more engagement, like as long as people are making choices they can choose to support the hardcore styles veruss the more casual games, and I think most people have just been waiting for some of the Angry Birds era to slow down a bit.

On another level, I'm sure people here saw like the Metroid Prime 4 announcement, WOW! I didn't think they'd be getting back to stuff like that for Nintendo, so that's cool too.

Well that's all I got for now, I'll be excited watching for announcements and the news stream, especially as gaming continues to evolve what with increasing personal interactions over video and such as opposed to the old everyone at the big conventions approach.

I guess if I said one final thing, it's probably that I still support the old game magazines for press and support, as I still have a subscription even now to Game Informer, maybe not everyones favorite magazine per se but it's kinda like one of the few ones left.. but I've been using it still.

Er kinda a tangent at the end, anyway, hope everyone gets here and has a good time!

Welcome back @Kefka1134 ! It is great to have you join us again! Thank you for all the kind words, and I am glad you like Deadhaus Sonata. It does indeed have a Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (LOK) vibe to it, and by following in the same spirit of LOK content approach, this will make it radically different as well. As we release more information hopefully this will become apparent why this is the case. I want to discuss it all now but it will be too much too soon and we will gradually roll these ideas out to the community and get feedback. We will be focussing on hard-core game mechanics/gamers for sure and some of the things we will be developing are very involved and radical (the furthest from dumbed down) and we hope gamers like some of these new approaches. We are indeed very excited about it here at Apocalypse!!!!

I am looking forward to interacting with you again on the forums! So good to see you back! :)

Reactions: Kefka1134
Hey all! Yeah so ok I definitely wouldn't call everything a TANGENT Derula haha =-P, but yeah once again it's pretty interesting to be here.. I must confess honestly this all is really my first time interacting with the larger video game community online, being raised in the "Hey that person over there is playing Pokemon" sorta environment (and who doesn't have some affection for those days I think?), so I'm not always sure how to go about it but things have been promising I think ^.^.

And I'm still in awe a man like Denis with 20+ years experience and actually making these big super products can find time to be all personable and interact individually with fans that's pretty unique I have to say. Almost everyone in other industries (I have a life ya know! Haha) when they get to that certain point of production in whatever area it almost always means you don't see them much for one reason or another.

Wow I guess I could talk about a lot of things, but those are some that come to mind, anyway, it's been fun watching the progress of everything and thinking about the possibilites.

The only other side thing I can think of is I have an ad blocker and everything because of the internet in general, would it interfere with site functions here because I mean it probably would be easy to disable for here since I'm not worried about it.

The only other side thing I can think of is I have an ad blocker and everything because of the internet in general, would it interfere with site functions here because I mean it probably would be easy to disable for here since I'm not worried about it.
I have an ad blocker, too, and haven't noticed any problems. Honestly I don't think they're running any ads, but then I usually think the internet has no ads at all and then sometimes my ad blocker stops working and I get reminded wht the Internet looks like without it...