NecroNuke9

Ripe
Jul 14, 2022
Ideas for new undead classes:

Mummy - Pharoahs resurrected through the faith of their people. Harvest skeletons from Humans. Fight with curses and skeletal legion.

Dullahan - Unjustly executed prisoners resurrected by need of justice. Harvest heads from victims. Use spine whip and various head bombs to attack.

Specter - Suicides who want others to feel their despair. Feed on despair of victims. Use debuffs of doubt and despair to weaken enemies.

Pesta - Those who were shunned because of disease and died alone. Feeds on decay. Spreads rot and disease to victims.

Lamia - Those murdered by their lovers. Harvest eyes from victims. They can charm and seduce victims.

Myling - Children abandoned in the wilderness and died from cold. They feed on warmth of victims. They use cold based attacks.

Draugr - Warriors who drowned at sea. They seek the thrill of combat. They use water based and physical attacks.

Dybbuk - Spirit that inhabits objects like dolls or mannequins that were abandoned. They collect personal objects from victims to feed on the love they had for their mementos. They fight with their constructed bodies.

Poltergeist - Parasitic Spirit that possesses human victims. They feed on the life force of their human hosts. They can jump from host to host when victim is weakened and injured. They can move body of host and attack with telekinetic attacks.

Adze - Corpse inhabited by swarm of insects. Create hives from victims and turn them into parasite bombs. They attack with parasitic insects.

Shade - Shadow separated from abused meek victim. Shadow wants power they never had in life. They devour shadows of their victims. Use darkness to attack.

Mare - Nightmare Spirit that feeds on sanity. They cast illusions to manifest nightmares and cause insanity.

Gaki - Those who starved to death. They consume everything in unlife. They are like undead ogres that want to consume their victims whole.

Jiang-Shi - Monks who were buried alive to sanctify the surrounding land. They are filled with regret and want to take back the breath of life. They feed on the breath of their victims until they suffocate. They act like undead monks and/or clerics using unholy prayers, sutras, and/or sigils.

Vrykolakas - Beast Spirit from dying animal that inhabits the corpse of mauled hunter that fatally wounded it. It seeks to maul all humans who disrespects nature. Essentially, it is a druidic undead werewolf.

So while I'm not entirely against some of these things, similar undead were suggested a lot longer ago but I might need to nitpick some things.

Mummy: While there might have once been a civilization in the world of Deadhaus that was similar to egypt, probably the whole thing of pharoahs is a bit to far. As Pharoahs were rulers and are probably rarer to find and wouldn't necessarily work as common player undead. Probably something similar to being made similar to the Wraith only using a corpse, using embalming methods to hollow out the corpse before bringing it back to life.

Dullahan: While I know Dullahan are commonly linked with undeath, they technically are not undead in anyway in mythology. They are believed to arrive to kill a person after they hear a Banshee's scream, but they themselves are not undead. Though this can work, as both a Banshee and Dullahan are Fae. The Dullahan could technically work as the Banshee's male counterpart as, instead of handmaidens to an elder god. As brutal tools of an elder god.

Lamia: This one sadly I cannot see as undead given where the name derives from. Lamia are snake women from Greek Mythology and are never really pointed to with undeath or any sort of physical state such as being headless in classical mythology. The kind of 'charm/seduction' gameplay you said was something that was suggested a Banshee could do, and would probably fit the role better.

Myling: While having undead children could be cool, it might be a bit too far. I did suggest another kind of cold weilding undead a long time ago in the form of the Yuki-onna.

Draugr: While I understand the desire for an underwater undead of some sort, the Draugr keeping in more inline with it's mythology is basically just a zombie but Scandinavian. There is probably another closer kind of undead out there can fit the "drowned" theme more than a Draugr who is just in Scandinavian mythology just a standard zombie that rose from it's grave.

Dybbuk: Okay so first thing, I love this idea, though I might suggest that instead of 'a' spirit it's multiple of weak spirits working together to try to control some sort of thrown together body they've made. Less elegant than the Wight we currently know but could almost be considered a proto-form, or natural, form of Wight, though instead of a human body it can be made of almost anything it's managed to pull onto itself and control. Second, the Jewish version where the Dybbuk comes from is a standard possessing living bodies kind of undead and might not be appropriate to turn it from possessing the living to possessing objects.

Adze: I have no real complaints about this one, it's a solid idea and the original source does help with it. Though a good clarification might be that it's not just one type of insects that inhabit it. Perhaps a vengeful spirit is able to maybe not control it's own corpse, but able to manipulate the insects inhabiting it's corpse to allow it movement and uses them as weapons as well.

Gaki: Sadly this can basically be considered the same as a Ghoul, while the Ghoul starts off smallish, it can grow rapidly upon consuming victims. It doesn't necessarily have to be completely undead to fit a role, as the Ghoul does as it's still technically alive to a degree.

Jiang-Shi: Okay so this is also an undead I suggested ages ago, though with a different tool set. Not all Jiang-shi are monks in Chinese mythology, and while the typical description does suggest that, technically anyone could become a Jiang-shi. The way I suggested a Jiang-shi would be implimented would be that it's extremely tanky but very slow with limited mobility as even in the mythology there's no absolute guaranteed way to put down a Jiang-shi for good. While at the same time they'd be week to magic as that was the idea of how to control a Jiang-shi. While the way you describe it makes sense, it makes sense in the way that that was how people controlled a Jiang-shi with sigils and sutras, rather than how a Jiang-shi actually acted which was basically single minded pursuit.

Vrykolakas: So I don't see this being totally out of the question, but unfortunately as far as we know in the world of Deadhaus, only sentient creatures such as humans or, theoretically, giants can become Undead naturally unless created artificially which would probably turn that kind of creature as an animal into a subservient corpse. Though the mythological description for Vrykolakas could be used for something different, using this sort of "animal spirit possessing a human body" could be stretching the mythological standpoint a Vrykolakas comes from.

• Informative
Reactions: Temuldjin
Draugr - Warriors who drowned at sea. They seek the thrill of combat. They use water based and physical attacks.
Draugr: While I understand the desire for an underwater undead of some sort, the Draugr keeping in more inline with it's mythology is basically just a zombie but Scandinavian. There is probably another closer kind of undead out there can fit the "drowned" theme more than a Draugr who is just in Scandinavian mythology just a standard zombie that rose from it's grave.
There is also the fact that Wight as undead creatures comes from a mistranslation/different than usual translation choice of the Haugbui, which was specifically a type of barrow dwelling Draugr. This was then taken up by Tolkien, who popularized the use of Wights as a form of undead creatures, which really rose to prominence with D&D.

• Informative
Reactions: Temuldjin
What a nice suggestion, even if none of these gets added as playable classes I hope they will be added as NPC's or Mobs in the game :)

Reactions: Purple Gryphon