Everyone,
Over the last several weeks, we have been discussing the launch of a single-player prototype demo of Deadhaus Sonata. The reasons for releasing the demo was to do the following:

Reward the early adopters
Raise awareness of the game
Give the community an understanding of the gameplay direction of the game

At Apocalypse, we believe that we work for gamers, and we want to do everything we can to communicate what we are doing as clearly as possible. Denis has over 30 years of development experience in the video game industry, and with this comes some extra options. One of these is significant connections with other people who can visit the studio and give us advice. Recently, we had the opportunity to speak with some people who had some significant (successful) experience in the F2P space. We went over our schedules and the above goals, and we were given the advice not to release the demo as it is a prototype and not likely to be understood well by those not exposed to the...

Continue reading...

Ah, I am a bit bummed about not being able to play the prototype, but I actually believe this was a smart move. With something like this, it was bound to get more noticed, but it could be the wrong kind of attention. Deep down, I felt that, but I didn't listen to it because I was excited about the idea of trying out the game in such an early stage.

The alpha will still be here, one day, anyway. :)

Getting weekly updates sounds about great. I'm happy to hear that.
January, eh? Very well. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Ah, I am a bit bummed about not being able to play the prototype, but I actually believe this was a smart move. With something like this, it was bound to get more noticed, but it could be the wrong kind of attention. Deep down, I felt that, but I didn't listen to it because I was excited about the idea of trying out the game in such an early stage.

The alpha will still be here, one day, anyway. :)

Getting weekly updates sounds about great. I'm happy to hear that.
January, eh? Very well. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Thank you for the feedback and support! We really appreciate it!

I understand the decision here. First impressions are important. I'd rather wait for a demo that is a polished and complete vertical slice of what we can expect from the game. Ultimately the demo will likely be one of the first things many newcomers will first see or look up when they hear about this game, so taking your time and leading with a strong demo is a good idea in the long run.

Demos used to be my main way of deciding whether to buy a game or not. Some demos were even better than the game itself... Like in Might & Magic: Dark Messiah.

Last edited:
I understand the decision here. First impressions are important. I'd rather wait for a demo that is a polished and complete vertical slice of what we can expect from the game. Ultimately the demo will likely be one of the first things many newcomers will first see or look up when they hear about this game, so taking your time and leading with a strong demo is a good idea in the long run.

Thank you for understanding - this means a great deal to us, and this decision was not easy to reach.

Demos used to be my main way of deciding whether to buy a game or not. Some demos were even better than the game itself... Like in Might & Magic: Dark Messiah.

This is one reason why we like the Free to Play model - you can play the game (as long as you want) before you spend money (if ever). Demos certainly could skew one's perspective on a game.

I'm guessing these weekly updates will include those introductory videos to the classes, which I'm looking forward to; but I also think this is a good move, first impressions are always important.

I'm guessing these weekly updates will include those introductory videos to the classes, which I'm looking forward to; but I also think this is a good move, first impressions are always important.

Yes, you are correct and thank you! :)

I waited patiently through all of Bloodstained's delays and that game ended up being great for it so I'll put my faith in you guys too. Do what you need to do to make the game you want proper. We'll be here cheering you on.

I didn't see it listed but an answer portion would be nice for the weekly videos for the mountain of questions once you're able to give definitive answer for them.

I didn't see it listed but an answer portion would be nice for the weekly videos for the mountain of questions once you're able to give definitive answer for them.

Yes, when we originally set up the ask a dev channel in discord, it was supposed to temporary for Jack's interview. People use that more than to the forum channel for ask a dev. I agree and we will try to get through them. Perhaps one of the videos each week can be used for this.