Ageless
OG 2020
Zorins Treat
Dog Adopter
Magus
Old World
Harbinger
Mar 20, 2019
I know it may come off a little cliche but I couldn't help but see seven classes and recall the seven sins. Perhaps a narrative inclusion might be fun, like how each sin uniquely led each class to the grave or embodies part of what they are in becoming undead. I put some thought into how they could be matched up and got this, along with some narrative suggestions; but feel free to say so if you see a better combination.

Ghoul: Gluttony

*Ignorant peasants and lower nobles cursed from feasting upon the corpses of vampires they slew during a famine, convincing themselves all the while that it didn't count as cannibalism since the bodies weren't human anymore.

Wraith: Sloth

*Sorcerers who failed in becoming Liches after death from not doing their due diligence in life to properly prepare what was required, putting them in a state of being that is constantly in pain and an overwhelming desire to share it with the world.

Wight: Pride

*A cult that believed in the supremacy of the undead, that the living are the disease and death is the cure. They now move to "convert" the world, as they did for themselves.

Revenant: Wrath

* Risen from their murderous anger, their overwhelming desire for revenge, and their desire to express it all things.

Banshee: Envy

*Fear of what exists beyond this world drove them to resist leaving it after death. Now they reside in a purgatory of their own making as they wonder this world, unable to enjoy life like they could before while still being too afraid to pass on, and trying to share that fear with whomever they come across.

Vampire: Lust

*Their overwhelming desire for never ending vitality and the pursuit of pleasure in life drove them willingly to accept immortality at the cost of having to claim the life's blood of others.

Liche: Greed

*Their pursuit of knowledge and the secrets it unlocks drove them to forsake the natural world by cheating death so as to continue on with their work.

EDIT
The vampire and liche's could be swapped, with the Liche's lust for power/knowledge and the vampire's greed leading them to kill people to ensure they can go on enjoying life.

The Wraith and Banshee's could also be exchanged, with the wraiths being sorcerers who pursued becoming liches before they were ready out of idealization and the banshee's being unmotivated to move on after death in favor of the familiar.

Last edited:
This is a very intriguing idea and although not in the original design, does work.

I was thinking that at the very least it could be part of a faith within human society that serves to explain their existence through their teachings and also as propaganda against the undead.

• Agree
Reactions: Denis Dyack
I was thinking that at the very least it could be part of a faith within human society that serves to explain their existence through their teachings and also as propaganda against the undead.

Agreed, at a minimum, this would work.

Reactions: Livin
Wow that is a very cool idea. I could definitely see it as maybe lore i.e. bedtime stories parents tell their children to keep them in line. Don't be greedy when you die x could happen to you and you will suffer for eternity.

Maybe we find tomes or recordings that tell the story of a particular individual that became X after they died because of the sins they committed during "life"

Wow that is a very cool idea. I could definitely see it as maybe lore i.e. bedtime stories parents tell their children to keep them in line. Don't be greedy when you die x could happen to you and you will suffer for eternity.

Maybe we find tomes or recordings that tell the story of a particular individual that became X after they died because of the sins they committed during "life"

Telling simple lies instead the complicated truth.

New to the Forums here. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I'll go ahead and share. I recall Guild Wars 2 having an interesting way of establishing your characters "backstory" through choices made in character creation. It allowed you not only choice of class/race, but then you could choose some pre-determined specifics regarding your race/class that helped make your character feel more "yours" and not just another "Elven Sorcerer" for example. I also always liked in DnD how every type of undead had a very specific way of being created (based on the individuals death). Perhaps something like that could be implemented in Deadhaus where based on what undead class you choose, you could go even deeper into how your character became undead instead of "moving on".

New to the Forums here. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I'll go ahead and share. I recall Guild Wars 2 having an interesting way of establishing your characters "backstory" through choices made in character creation. It allowed you not only choice of class/race, but then you could choose some pre-determined specifics regarding your race/class that helped make your character feel more "yours" and not just another "Elven Sorcerer" for example. I also always liked in DnD how every type of undead had a very specific way of being created (based on the individuals death). Perhaps something like that could be implemented in Deadhaus where based on what undead class you choose, you could go even deeper into how your character became undead instead of "moving on".

@SoDangeresque Welcome to the forums! We are just starting to grow and we appreciate everyone who joins here. We are focussing on community-driven design, so we are watching every post!

One of the ideas we are working towards is the age of death of character creation - ie. how long ago did you pass and what does that mean for the character gameplay-wise and narrative-wise. I think we should do a video on individual narratives for characters to outline the direction we are going and get some feedback.

• Friendly
One of the ideas we are working towards is the age of death of character creation - ie. how long ago did you pass and what does that mean for the character gameplay-wise and narrative-wise. I think we should do a video on individual narratives for characters to outline the direction we are going and get some feedback.

Yes Please!

• Happy
Reactions: Denis Dyack
Hmm mayhaps maybe different things were going on at different times in the worlds, which lead to different ways undead manifest? Cool!
Sort of like evolution. When the force or cause of undeath is put into a new environment, it adapts to make undead capable of surviving, and thriving, in different situations.

Hmm mayhaps maybe different things were going on at different times in the worlds, which lead to different ways undead manifest? Cool!

I've been curious about that aspect of the lore, have the various undead emerged over time at various stages of history or did they all emerged in roughly the same period. If it's the former I'd like to know which type came first and how they reacted to all those who came after, like if there were rises and falls within a hierarchy.

I've been curious about that aspect of the lore, have the various undead emerged over time at various stages of history or did they all emerged in roughly the same period. If it's the former I'd like to know which type came first and how they reacted to all those who came after, like if there were rises and falls within a hierarchy.
I wonder how the Sacred Trinity would play into that. We don't have very many details about the essential realm, but maybe it started there? Maybe the ethereal/essential realm are completely normal aspects of the cosmos in this world but something happened that opened up avenues to those existences that were normally closed and the dead slipped through to find themselves in the world of the living.

I wonder how the Sacred Trinity would play into that. We don't have very many details about the essential realm, but maybe it started there? Maybe the ethereal/essential realm are completely normal aspects of the cosmos in this world but something happened that opened up avenues to those existences that were normally closed and the dead slipped through to find themselves in the world of the living.
That makes perfect sense, seeing as that realm is the home of the Elder Gods. That would make the Wight the oldest of the undead factions.

• Agree
Reactions: SoDangeresque