Dog Adopter
Grim Scribe
Magus
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Jul 1, 2020
+1
What is Runesmithing: A long lost technology no longer being used by any existing civilization.

What is a Runesmith: A Runesmith is a very skilled blacksmith who has not only mastered the craft of Blacksmithing, but also the craft of Runes, not just the ability to engrave Runes but also the ability to empower them, being a Runesmith is not only about tempering, Heating, cooling or hammering the metal, giving form to the metal, nor the material used to it, being a Runesmith is about the magical know how of each individual Rune and how to apply them to an item, it's also understanding the Runes own unique magic and it's about how many Runes you are able to engrave and empower on the object without failing the process.

How to unlock Runesmithing: Unlocking Runesmithing will be no simple task, first of all there isn't even a profession called Runesmithing, so just from that fact you would realize it's no simple task to become one.
My idea was that to become one you already have to me a skilled blacksmith (in game that could be you having the max level for the profession of Blacksmithing, or having learned most, if not all the "patterns" available for the profession. And then, only after having done that you need to be lucky enough to stumble on, into/discover an ancient ruin from a long lost civilization who just happens to have used Runesmiths.
This could be at the very bottom of an old abandoned mine which opens up in to a natural cavern system and if you explore that maze like cave system you could eventually discover old ruins from an extinct civilization.
Then you have find the workshop of a Runesmith and find evidence (" a quest item ") that only a master blacksmith can begin, and it starts off with you have to translate lets say a ledger found in the ruined smithy.
This quest chain to become a Runesmith could send you all over the map, various libraries, to various NPC scholars/liches or other places where Runes have been discovered which could help you decipher the ledger you found earlier in the ruin.

Making Runesmithing Unique: Maybe adding the Runes on to specific skins bought in the in-game cosmetic store will give them an added Rune effect (both cosmetic and effect/stats on the item) which cannot be duplicated by other blacksmiths who aren't Runesmiths, so even if they have bought the same cosmetic skin so they can craft items that looks the same, even if they are the same level blacksmith and even if they craft the same item you crafted, because of the fact that you are Runesmith and they aren't the item you will craft would still be superior do to the Runes added, so not only will it end up looking different do to the runes added and their in-game stats effect, they will also make the weapon look different when it's compared to a normal Blacksmith.

Other idea's about Runes: There could Also, be whole quest line involved learning a single rune, heck, even discovering them in the first place could be a quest line.
For each element there could also be runes, for example lightning attribute, water/frost attribute, fire attributes etcetera, and each type of elemental rune could have their own unique color glow to them (lightning = yellow, fire = orange or red, water/frost could be blue/turquoise.

Runes through the ages: What if Runes become more powerful throughout the games in game Ages? For example a weapon that had Runes engraved on in the second Age have evolved to Elder Runes/Ancient Runes by the fifth Age therefor having an enhanced effect.

Of cause any and all suggestions and feedback is more than welcome, i was really hoping to get a good discussion going to flesh out the idea.

Last edited:
What is a Runesmith: A Runesmith is a very skilled blacksmith who has not only mastered the craft of Blacksmithing, but also the craft of Runes, not just the ability to engrave Runes but also the ability to empower them, being a Runesmith is not only about tempering, Heating, cooling or hammering the metal, giving form to the metal, nor the material used to it, being a Runesmith is about the magical know how of each individual Rune and how to apply them to an item, it's also understood the Runes own unique magic and it's about how many runes you are able to engrave on the object without failing the process.
Oh yes, I like this, extra progress after finishing a skill tree is always fun. I think that something like this will allow for far greater customization, and allow you to give fun extra effects to your gear.
How to unlock Runesmithing: Unlocking Runesmithing will be no simple task, first of all there isn't even a profession called Runesmithing, so just from that fact you would realize it's no simple task to become one.
And I really like this, not even saying that thtere is progress to be made, so only the most dedicated players will look for the secrets is awesome, I always like it when games reward looking for secrets, and most of the process you have lined out sounds pretty interesting. Though maybe instead of having to run all over the map, it could just be rare encounters in missions in different regions, so that it rewards the dedicated player just as much as the dedicated searcher.
Making Runesmithing Unique: Maybe adding the Runes on to specific skins bought in the in-game cosmetic store will give them an added Rune effect (both cosmetic and effect/stats on the item) which cannot be duplicated by other blacksmiths who aren't Runesmiths, so even if they have bought the same cosmetic skin so they can craft items that looks the same, even if they are the same level blacksmith and even if they craft the same item you crafted, because of the fact that you are Runesmith and they aren't the item you will craft would still be superior do to the Runes added, so not only will it end up looking different do to the runes added and their in-game stats effect, they will also make the weapon look different when it's compared to a normal Blacksmith.
I like this, it allows you to subtly show off even though no one would notice it before you used your weapon, but I'd be weary about putting stuff in the in-game cosmetic store that can be seen as paying to get the good stuff. Maybe, instead of that, weapon skins (in the store or not) have a specific style, and if a runesmith knows runes in that style, they can apply runes on it. You can then of course toggle the visibility if it clashes with a skin, but the runesmith would have to apply runes on a weapon anyway.
Other idea's about Runes: There could Also, be whole quest line involved learning a single rune, heck, even discovering them in the first place could be a quest line.
For each element there could also be runes, faux lightning attribute, water/frost attribute, fire attributes etcetera, and each type of elemental rune could have their own unique color glow to them (lightning = yellow, fire = orange or red, water/frost could be blue/turquoise.

Runes through the ages: What if Runes become more powerful throughout the games in game Ages? For example a weapon that had Runes engraved on in the second Age have evolved to Elder Runes/Ancient Runes by the fifth Age therefor having an enhanced effect.
About these two: I like the quest lines for finding runes, and possible effects, though I'd think they'd be more linked to the elder gods than to the elements.

I also like magical items growing stronger over time, and the second idea seems to be building on that, which I like.

• Useful
Reactions: Temuldjin
I went with the scattered shot approach in this post, instead of just condensed clear cut one, i wanted to offer the base idea, and then branching ones and tried to cover as much as possible within the original post.

Also another idea just popped in my head.

Who says only Runesmiths can learn to engrave and empower Runes on to objects? i'm sure a stubborn enough liche would be able to learn to do it and enchant their robes or magical artifacts with runes for added in game benefits similar to how "enchanting" works in different games.

I really like the idea, having more to delve into for crafting that also ties in the lore is always a good thing

While I don't think DHS in particular will have character professions as you would have in World of Warcraft (it's just not that kind of open world game), I do believe that we will have to unlock different features as we develop ourselves in the universe, and that may also imply getting access to the resources, personnel, locations and items that make many kinds of upgrades possible, including crafting and runesmithing.

I think your ideas are good to be adapted to a quest format where players will have to go through missions and challenges to unlock features.

Visually adding runes to cosmetics? That's not bad, and that wouldn't have to necessarily be tied to any gameplay element.

If anyone else have any feedback, or comment they want to add (fx just the acknowledgement that you thing it's a decent idea) you guys are more than welcome to post :)

What is Runesmithing: A long lost technology no longer being used by any existing civilization.

What is a Runesmith: A Runesmith is a very skilled blacksmith who has not only mastered the craft of Blacksmithing, but also the craft of Runes, not just the ability to engrave Runes but also the ability to empower them, being a Runesmith is not only about tempering, Heating, cooling or hammering the metal, giving form to the metal, nor the material used to it, being a Runesmith is about the magical know how of each individual Rune and how to apply them to an item, it's also understanding the Runes own unique magic and it's about how many Runes you are able to engrave and empower on the object without failing the process.

My idea was that to become one you already have to me a skilled blacksmith (in game that could be you having the max level for the profession of Blacksmithing, or having learned most, if not all the "patterns" available for the profession. And then, only after having done that you need to be lucky enough to stumble on, into/discover an ancient ruin from a long lost civilization who just happens to have used Runesmiths.
This could be at the very bottom of an old abandoned mine which opens up in to a natural cavern system and if you explore that maze like cave system you could eventually discover old ruins from an extinct civilization.
Then you have find the workshop of a Runesmith and find evidence (" a quest item ") that only a master blacksmith can begin, and it starts off with you have to translate lets say a ledger found in the ruined smithy.
This quest chain to become a Runesmith could send you all over the map, various libraries, to various NPC scholars/liches or other places where Runes have been discovered which could help you decipher the ledger you found earlier in the ruin.

For each element there could also be runes, for example lightning attribute, water/frost attribute, fire attributes etcetera, and each type of elemental rune could have their own unique color glow to them (lightning = yellow, fire = orange or red, water/frost could be blue/turquoise.

Of cause any and all suggestions and feedback is more than welcome, i was really hoping to get a good discussion going to flesh out the idea.
Ooo I love this idea. I am a crafter in every game I play and I am looking forward to getting the ability to make my own runes. It's great that each person's runes are unique and can be sold. I make runes and sigils in GW2 but they are not unique and the recipes can be bought easily from NPC's around the world. Hopefully I can explore and find these on my own cause I tend to get left behind like in New World when everyone quit and I couldn't get into the high level zones by myself to find recipes and mats without dying constantly. I am so psyched for DHS to be released. It's like waiting for your baby to be born. Lol

It would be interesting if adding runes to your gear would change the look of it or color or give you some kind of glow/effect. I'm all about those cosmetics. I have a feeling I'm gonna get myself in trouble with them. Lol.

• Agree
It would be interesting if adding runes to your gear would change the look of it or color or give you some kind of glow/effect. I'm all about those cosmetics. I have a feeling I'm gonna get myself in trouble with them. Lol.

indeed, i wrote that idea up there as well, different runes have different glows :)

there is just so much you can do with runes :)

What I should have said it that it could give you a different aura.

i think that it is a good idea, but im also thinking that there could be like class specific runesmithing. for instance, if you are a vampire then you can do very good runesmithing for other classes but for a vampire only weapon you could either give an extra perk because of being a vampire or say you could grant an extra bleed which also give your character health (unless their a zombie or something similar)

i think that it is a good idea, but im also thinking that there could be like class specific runesmithing. for instance, if you are a vampire then you can do very good runesmithing for other classes but for a vampire only weapon you could either give an extra perk because of being a vampire or say you could grant an extra bleed which also give your character health (unless their a zombie or something similar)
I really like the idea of Class Specific Runes to Enhance a specific thing about a Class, fx blood magic for Vampires, or maybe remove/reduce the weakness of sunlight.

I really like the idea of Class Specific Runes to Enhance a specific thing about a Class, fx blood magic for Vampires, or maybe remove/reduce the weakness of sunlight.
Class specific runes would be a terrific idea.

• Agree
I think it is a cool idea to have a runesmithing profession. I personally would not limit the profession requirements only to blacksmithing. I would include other types of professions in the mix - after all runes can be on everything be it armor, weapon or clothes or even jewelry. Of course every profession would interact with runesmithing in a different manner. I would keep the high level requirement in any of those professions but would not really require max level to start learning it as it would be interesting to be able to level the professions simultaneously.

As for the effects - it would be interesting to see a spellcasting-like system for the runesmiths where they combine different runes in a language to create a desired effect. As it is a language discovering different runes by venturing in ancient places and communicating with ancient beings would make sense. I would also bet more on active and passive effects than on stats as stats are not all that interesting in the end of the day. Something interesting for a very high-skill-level runesmith would be the ability to modify ability cards themselves. Of course that whole journey would be very difficult and would require finding multiple specific pieces knowledge from all over the world... or worlds.

As much as I like the idea of a profession that empowers player gear with the potential of the effect evolving over the ages, it would be a nightmare to balance. It would also either introduce or exacerbate power creep in the game.

A more feasible idea would be to either make the profession tied to the player's creation of community content or straight up make it a class - Soul Forge/Soulsmith/etc. that uses the souls of the recently deceased to weave/manifest their craft in to the material plane. It could make unique weapons and armor that other players can pick up and receive abilities that are unique to the temporary equipment and since its temporary and not permanent the power of said abilities can be set pretty high without having to worry that it would break the balance.

It's a good idea - to have another tier of "mastery skill" beyond maxing out a normal tradecraft.
Might even consider having it be unlocked by requiring mastery of more than one type of trade/skill, for instance:

Runesmithing/Enchanting = Blacksmithing Mastery (Tradecraft) + Arcane Skill Mastery (Combat)

If you wanted to compound it even further you could necessitate that "Runic Mastery" (being able to create and enchant the highest level of Runic effect on a weapon/armor/accessory) require certain levels achieved on Runesmithing, the specific magic type you're trying to imbue (fire/cold/electric/wind/blood/death/abyssal/eldritch), and finally discovery of that specific Master Rune in an ancient runeforge in order to finally be able to craft it successfully.
Lacking any of those three elements of the crafting process might hinder the process by weakening the effect of the rune, or giving it a high chance of failure depending on the severity of the lacking element (IE if you don't know the master rune, you might have a 99% fail rate--but if you know the rune and have the runesmithing skill but lack mastery of the related arcane spell knowledge, you might end up with a 100% success rate, but end up with a weaker version of the effect- reduced dmg/are of effect/et cetera)

A high quality/level base implement might also be required to contain the awesome power of a master runic enhancement successfully. A rusty copper short sword might not be able to be imbued at all, whereas a suit of dragonscale mail may readily (perhaps even greedily) accept high level runic enhancements. Something between the two might survive the process, but eventually be overwhelmed by the power it tries to contain--like a Songsteel long sword (Elvish make) might hold a Mastered Abyssal Flame Rune for perhaps a hundred strikes before the surge of magic cracks and splinters the blade, rendering it useless.

There's a lot of places this idea can go.

Fantastic post! This concept works well with some of the systems we are working on, particularly with Ages and how crafting will work in the game - I will discuss how to incorporate things mentioned here with the team. Crafting will be very different from most games so please be patient until we roll out how all this will work.

I think it is a cool idea to have a runesmithing profession. I personally would not limit the profession requirements only to blacksmithing. I would include other types of professions in the mix - after all runes can be on everything be it armor, weapon or clothes or even jewelry. Of course every profession would interact with runesmithing in a different manner. I would keep the high level requirement in any of those professions but would not really require max level to start learning it as it would be interesting to be able to level the professions simultaneously.

As for the effects - it would be interesting to see a spellcasting-like system for the runesmiths where they combine different runes in a language to create a desired effect. As it is a language discovering different runes by venturing in ancient places and communicating with ancient beings would make sense. I would also bet more on active and passive effects than on stats as stats are not all that interesting in the end of the day. Something interesting for a very high-skill-level runesmith would be the ability to modify ability cards themselves. Of course that whole journey would be very difficult and would require finding multiple specific pieces knowledge from all over the world... or worlds.
I agree with Elveone about it not just being about smithing. All over our world symbols have been used to have magical effects on things from people, households, and personal item. There were even runes that one would "air-draw" over things like food and drink to bless/curse a drink making it like a form of quick enchanting.Such as drawing the rune for Joy rune Wunjo at a wedding, or a Pertho rune (secret) over yourself when you don't want to be seen.

Note on next part. Some of these are used in old stories and others are just things I pieced together using the methods described in those stories.

There are also examples of combining runes, often called staves or bind runes, in the Old Norse runic system to have a desired combined effect. Such as combining Thurisaz, Othalo, and Hagalaz in a home. In order they mean Thorn (Offensive protection like a thorn on a rose) Home ( pretty straight forward) and Hagalaz meaning Hail ( often use as a "cause damage" rune. So in essence you would be saying Harm any who would bring harm to this house.

War paints would also use runes as well. Painting a Teiwaz (Tyr, Justice) on someone during a Thing ( Old Norse gathering to pass judgements on law violations and settle disputes) would invoke to the gods to insure justice for that person was done, whether it be in favor or against.

You could also use the old system of kennings ( metaphorical names for things) to stop them. Using Ansuz, Gebo, Mannaz and Isa together would freeze breath. These in order mean Odin (it is used to call the god) Gift ( another straight forward one) Man ( ans in mankind) and Ice ( freeze, cold or stasis). Odin's gift to mankind in the creation myth was the breath in our bodies, so with this rune stave you would be asking "Odin's gift to you be frozen."

As a side note in a much older post I made mention of us being able to carve runes on ourselves as cosmetics, such as Liches having carved bones or wraiths having them on their chains, but would be greatly interested in seeing them have some actual effect even if it is only a slight one.

Doing things like this may allow for a crafting profession that focuses on the runes completely, being able to apply them to allies for buffs that last for a period of time. Give a person a one time use spell that they can use on their next outing, or small simple ones that can be applied as cosmetics. Using the concept of having to find them would also allow a player to maybe have a rune that they can carve that few other players have found allowing that players runes to be in high demand. You could also not openly explain what the combinations do sometimes and players have to experiment to find if they are useful. Have a set that did nothing when applied to a sword summon a portal in your home when applied to a door frame.

A fun social interaction thing that could be done is having each runesmith, runescribe whatever they would be called have to have a physical storage for their runes. This could be a book scroll or something similar that is in their housing. A person coming over could take it, while they would have the knowledge within now there would be some form of consequences, such as catching the attention of the Ferryman branch, who would be looking to punish the thief. They could also try to copy the runes they see but this would be a channeled ability that the owner would be likely to notice and start a fight or have someone ejected from their home. But if they get a way with it then there would be no wrong doing cause no one would notice kinda thing. you could also allow someone you trust to copy your book to help with orders or to strengthen them as a rune caster as well kinda like taking an acolyte.