Cacophonyx

Newly Dead
OG 2020
Sep 9, 2020
About the enemies of Nogosaua

I am going to assume that there will be all sorts of humanoid and undead enemies in the land of Nogosaua. I’m sure there will be all manner of animated skeletons in both human and inhuman configurations, undead hordes maybe some flesh golem abominations, ruthless brigands and merciless vampire hunters and the like, but what about the local fauna?

Almost all rpgs and mmorpgs use very mundane and normal creatures. bears, wolves, dragons, boars, big cats, hornets, ect. This is in my opinion very boring and doesn’t help your world stand out. The first time I saw Morrowwind I was intrigued by the unique world and its unconventional creatures. The Cliff Racers were bat winged snakes with bird heads, and the Nix Hound was a bug creature with a canine body, it was so weird and caught my attention. The legend of Zelda started off with terrestrial octopi that spit rocks and cycloptic hopping bugs. Even the simple goblin like evil race had a different name Moblin instead of Goblin, it wasn’t a big change but it helps with building the lore of the world. I particularly loved the evolved vampires found in the Soul Reaver game.

I do not know what sort of plans have already been made but I would like to give some suggestion, and if by chance no thought has gone into this here are some ideas. Nogosaua is a dark fantasy world with heavy focus on vampires and the undead, so to make it stand out a little more what if we focused on a few more unconventional mob ideas. We could still use some clichés of the Halloween bestiary like Bats, Wolves especially if there are werewolves involved, crows, and spiders.

However, we can spice it up a bit. What if the giant spider enemy is like the juvenile form of a species of hideous spidertaurs, like a drider but all spider.

There could be normal bats, and there could be pale hairless vulture sized aerial predators, or maybe there could even be a divergent evolutionary species that is a crawling wingless versions with a giant gulper eel like mouth riddled with fangs.

What else could there be, well this is a world of vampires and undead so what sorts of creatures would be a nuisance to them. I think you could have fun focusing on real life bloodsuckers and carrion eaters. The real life vampires and carrion eaters of this world evolved to compete and prey upon the various undead.

Mosquitos, Darkest Dungeons already referenced the connection but here the giant mosquitos are a threat to vampires because they go after the same food namely humans. Perhaps they have been changed from feeding on the blood of vampires.

Monstrous rhino sized ticks and leeches are lesser used creatures and would pose a similar threat for their diet. You don’t have to just make them bigger you could have leech men or something. Crocodile sized leeches being a great idea for a threat in lakes and marshlands.

Fleas, I personally would love if there were little hopping gremlins that are obviously based on Fleas, like literal flea men that behave in a manner similar to the Castlevania enemy, hopping around erratically occasionally jumping on you for a bite.

On the undead side of things how about Monstrous Flies and Maggots, if you’re a rotting corpse the last thing you want to deal with is something that will eat you.

There are also many carrion beetles like the burying beetle, and the ones that strip flesh from bones.

Finally near the shores you could have carrion eating crab men, giant isopods and slimy hagfish mermaids and blood sucking Candiru gillmen.

Did you know there is a species of bee that makes hives in corpses, and honey from rotten flesh.

Another idea to spice up the more mundane animals like crows, wolves, and such is to integrate the Undead classes into the animals. So you have wolves, dire wolves, werewolves and a flaming Revenant Wolf for the cliché Hell hound design, imagine a revenant werewolf. These undead creatures would have powers like the undead class they have. For some simplicity it might be better to have one undead class per creature, like wolves only become revenants, cats only become banshees, rats become ghouls, and such however that would be up to you.

I like the idea of a twisted undead Lich Goat having a cult of corpses worshipping it like an effigy.

There were also creatures from the original Blood omen like the weird tentacled humanoid things that spit slime, the slug men, and armored saw nosed beast.

Wow, this is a really good and interesting topic :)

I just simply either agree or like practically everything you wrote :)

I like a lot of these ideas too, my only issue, and its personal perspective as im sure the devs have thought about many of these things. for me it just need to makes sense. I wouldnt want to see a big giant bug roaming just cause. Like, is it something that has just always been? did it evolve over time? did somehow the magick of the world interfere, or the undead involve themselves in the species of the world?

When i think about games with humans in it, obviously my mind goes to what I might experience in a world or a new world. If you tell me there are monsters like vampires or liches, then I accept that, if you then tell me there are creatures the size of buildings or with teeth that can shred through anything, my brain says, Oh so more monsters. There then isnt a separation there.

Does that make sense?

Anyway side note, I havent seen anyone talk about World Anvil in awhile so if that isnt still a thing, that is a place for us to write things like short stories or something of the likes that could potentially go into the game (at dev discretion) , but it isnt restricted to stories, some have submitted things like items or people so why not fauna in the world as well. I know I have a thought for something myself that I would love to see in the game