Ashen_Ring
Immemorial
Ageless
OG 2020
Zorins Treat
Old World
Harbinger
Mar 27, 2019
Im sure Apocalypse already has a great plan on levels and skills but one can only dream. I've talked about this briefly with other community members already but would like to get a more general opinion. So as industry standard for leveling in games goes "earn enough experience, earn a skill point and allocate it wherever!". Now what I am thinking of is a more niche leveling system. Instead of of just racking up xp and placing a skill point wherever, how about an adaptive leveling system? To me this would be more along the lines of no traditional levels and whatnot but would go off of whatever skills you use the most. Let's say for an example you choose to play a vampire that specializes in unarmed/armored claw attacks, you would eventually hit a threshold upon enough kills that levels up that specific skill. This could be a damage increase, range increase and or a cosmetic change to go along with it. Instead of awarding players for just earning xp for actions, make the player progress in a fashion that their gameplay style suits. This could even be a cross age system where if you sire further undead you could give them bonuses to said skill at an early stage for a new character. Im sure not everyone would be a fan of this but I would absolutely love something similar

Im sure Apocalypse already has a great plan on levels and skills but one can only dream. I've talked about this briefly with other community members already but would like to get a more general opinion. So as industry standard for leveling in games goes "earn enough experience, earn a skill point and allocate it wherever!". Now what I am thinking of is a more niche leveling system. Instead of of just racking up xp and placing a skill point wherever, how about an adaptive leveling system? To me this would be more along the lines of no traditional levels and whatnot but would go off of whatever skills you use the most. Let's say for an example you choose to play a vampire that specializes in unarmed/armored claw attacks, you would eventually hit a threshold upon enough kills that levels up that specific skill. This could be a damage increase, range increase and or a cosmetic change to go along with it. Instead of awarding players for just earning xp for actions, make the player progress in a fashion that their gameplay style suits. This could even be a cross age system where if you sire further undead you could give them bonuses to said skill at an early stage for a new character. Im sure not everyone would be a fan of this but I would absolutely love something similar
While I do love this kind of character progression, I know it's a terrible way to run multiplayer RPG's. Games like Skyrim get away with it because there is no limit. But for flat limits it's a very bad idea. This idea was present in Final Fantasy 2, and people hated it. An example was that if you wanted more health, you had to go out and get your party members beat up by low level monsters for hours until you upped your health growth upon level ups. Once again, I love the concept, but executing this sort of thing is extremely hard, especially in multiplayer games. Plus there is a very big thing that most games have that this almost goes against.
That being people should know what to expect just by looking at something. We know that Deadhaus isn't the only haus, and that haus wars will happen, but while the small cosmetic changes might help, the big picture for PvP in any game is you can know at a glance what your enemy is capable of. Most characters in games have distinct outlines that let you know what you're up against. Even level up systems do have this effect, specific skills for specific classes but people should still be able to know the difference based on their equipment.
Once again, I love these ideas for games, but they aren't practical in a multiplayer environment where while you have control of your character and their customization, you have 0 control over the other members and what they did for customization.

I honestly hate those kind of levelling systems. It basically comes down to grinding specific actions to get specific skills. You end up with small disjointed skill trees that aren't interesting to traverse and are meant to learn everything from. That is usually a very uninteresting character building. Just get all actions you see as significant to grant XP and then get whatever skills you want from a bigger skill tree.

That is something I can totally understand but something in me wants that drive to go out and get some fire resistance by battling enemies with flame oriented attacks and building up that resistance to withstand such attacks. I totally understand where you are coming from and can understand where the divide would be with PVP but just an idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just think it would be cool for example as a lich to raise skeletons from the dead but over time there would be more and more flesh and eventually become raising a zombie etc. I can totally understand how this would be super impractical for

I'd like a combination of the approaches to leveling, gaining greater proficiency in various disciples with practice that results in stat increases while gaining levels that allows you to unlock new disciplines or further enhance those that are currently available.