J

Jalen.P

Hey guys!

Due to the current situation with COVID-19, the Apocalypse Studios staff will be working from home for the next little bit. We still want to be here for you guys, and help provide support and a little distraction during these difficult times. Usually, we've had a weekly stream every Friday with Denis, answering your questions about Deadhaus Sonata. Denis has suggested we move from a once a week stream to a DAILY stream. We're more than happy to provide you guys with as much content as we can, but we need to know what you guys would like to see.

Does daily streaming sound like a good idea to you? What would you want to watch us do/play? These daily streams will not be in the same setup as the previous streams. Right now, our idea is that Iain, Scott and myself would split up the week and rotate through the three of us streaming from our homes. We would still look at having guests on the stream, Denis will still sit in and be able to answer your questions live, and it may not even be playing video games every stream. Here's some ideas we had:

1. Playing video games, some related games related to Deadhaus and some games are whatever we're playing at the time
  2. More community round table discussions, going over the forum threads
  3. An Apocalypse Studios Dungeons and Dragons campaign
  4. Tabletop Simulator

As always, please let us know what you guys think! We loving hearing from the community and want to provide as much support as we can in these trying times.

Thanks again!
Jalen P

• Happy
Reactions: Golden Xan
I can't speak for everyone, but I am particularly interested in hearing more about what you've done so far with the game. Deadhaus is a world I'm excited to be a part of, and everything you can tell us about the work you've put in the game is welcome. But I also know there are things you need to wait until talking about, and others that are especially scheduled for specific dates for one reason or another. So, if you can't talk about DHS specifically, pretty much anything else is on the table.

While I'd like to continue with another game from Silicon Knights, daily streams have a different pacing and people may not be able to accompany it as well as a weekly stream, so those might be better reserved for Friday streams. Instead, you could play some of the older games that people are not that interested in (one per day, as opposed to an entire campaign/playthrough), or simply games that you like to regularly play to mention what sort of mechanics you find interesting and would like to apply in DHS in some form.

Apart from videogames themselves, the other alternatives you've mentioned are quite interesting. I'm biased, but I would like to know Denis' (as well as all of you) thoughts about some of the suggestions we've made here in the forums, or perhaps you could read the fan fiction and talk about how this sort of community-created content would fit into the game, if at all.
For instance, how would players create stories that you would bring into the game? If there is such a thing, one of those daily streams might be a good time to talk about your envisioning for it.

Narrative RPG campaigns of any kind are very exciting for the players themselves, but not always to those who are watching, especially if they don't understand the mechanics at play. Also, campaigns can sometimes last for months depending on the pacing the GM dictates, so that may not be the best thing this time around. Even more, I don't know if you guys would be able to talk to us (if you intend to do that) while narrating and making choices for your characters, as this requires concentration. Still, I'm not against the idea, as I am interested in narrative RPGs, but that's my personal take only.

Now, something entirely different that I would like to see at some point is a time that you guys take to detail what is your approach to creating content for the game and telling us about yourselves. As an example, Iain sitting down on the couch and telling us about what he does in his work, some of his own history, how he came to work at Apocalypse, how is a typical workday, how does he discuss his objectives with the team in order to solve a particular puzzle in the development of the game, etc.
It was a small detail, but I've liked hearing Denis talk about the 3-month developmental sprints approach that you guys have. Your vision and developmental attitude are things I'd like to hear more about, if that is something you can and want to share.

Furthermore, you could play Chthulu Wars. ^^
And you could talk about your strategies in the game while you do so (to us, of course, not the opponents). We could potentially try that group play Denis said won't work. :p
But this is only in case you can dedicate time to it, since I take it those matches can last for a few hours (maybe more?).
If this contradicts the purpose of actually interacting with the viewers, then I suppose this will be better left for another setting.

But, in any case, I think your ideas are already quite good and would last for quite a while. How long do you intend to keep this daily stream routine?

Me and my girl suspect we are already infected with the virus. Despite this, we haven't faced some of the more critical symptoms and our routine hasn't changed that much. I work at home, so aside from the difficulties in focusing, my days haven't changed. In any case, the Friday stream is something I look forward to every single week and I always count the days until the stream. Having daily streams would be a great bonus, if you are able to and willing to make this effort. As far as you are having fun, we will likely have fun as well. :)

Last edited:
We loving hearing from the community and want to provide as much support as we can in these trying times.

That is a very nice idea, and I think daily streams could be a nice outlet for you and us alike. I would also find it unfitting to ask either of you to talk more about work. Of course, if you want to do so, and if it's making things easier rather than harder, that would be up to you. I would be perfectly happy with "chill streams" where there doesn't need to be so much focus on saying the right things or answering tough questions.

I'm biased, but I would like to know Denis' (as well as all of you) thoughts about some of the suggestions we've made here in the forums, or perhaps you could read the fan fiction and talk about how this sort of community-created content would fit into the game, if at all.

Absolutely agree. In the Quantum Entanglement forums, I had written several stories that were fanfics in part. I got some reactions to them, including short comments from Denis IIRC, but the general lack of feedback kind of killed my motivation. I was later told that people did read and even discuss some of them internally, but I was missing some more direct validation - or even valid criticism.

It's for that reason that I've been trying to read others' fanfic here, and giving feedback on what I liked about them. I think I missed a couple; often the format didn't help. And @Golden Xan's feedback to my own stories here and subsequent references to them were really nice and validating - and I'm sure the other writers have had similar feelings about @Golden Xan's support.

I would feel so humbled if people read my stories on stream and commented on them, trying to piece together information and find out how everything fits together. As I am sure the others (sorry I don't remember anyone's name...) will be excited to see how people react to some of the very clever writing they have put out. (However, some might not want their stories read? So maybe ask first...)

Furthermore, you could play Chthulu Wars. ^^

Yep, very interested in seeing that, though it might be slightly difficult when everyone's in different places.

My city just announced a pretty scary-sounding lockdown, and while I'm not personally concerned about my own well-being, the logistic uncertainty of it gives me the heebies. Any outlet would probably do me good.

• Happy
Reactions: Golden Xan
While not about content, there's something I'd like to say about the structure. I don't know long you intend for each daily stream to be, I'm guessing it would be about an hour long, so...
You could divide the activities per stream, or per time.
For instance, make one day about Deadhaus, one day about community content, three days about general fun with other games.
Or, you could reserve 10 minutes to talk about Deadhaus' features, 10 minutes for community content, and 40 minutes for gaming.

To keep things varied and possibly please as many people as you can. :)
Unless you intend to play something throughout these days that take a long time, such as entire match of a board game or campaign of any particular videogame.