Phil Haymes

Phil Haymes

Just finished reviewing the latest concept art - this is great stuff 😁 Very impressed. A lot of the environmental scenes are bold and monolithic, and the detail on the characters are preserved nicely without being too flashy or glossy (eg: in short - not so world-of-warcraft-y - thankfully!!) I particularly like the detail done on the "Kain-worship" vampire character (whatever his name will be?) It has a slight touch of that baroque-esque Castlevania style, but some other menacing attributes to the attire. This is exceptional in my view and only makes me so more stoked for what's to come 🙂

• Friendly
Reactions: Denis Dyack
Just finished reviewing the latest concept art - this is great stuff 😁 Very impressed. A lot of the environmental scenes are bold and monolithic, and the detail on the characters are preserved nicely without being too flashy or glossy (eg: in short - not so world-of-warcraft-y - thankfully!!) I particularly like the detail done on the "Kain-worship" vampire character (whatever his name will be?) It has a slight touch of that baroque-esque Castlevania style, but some other menacing attributes to the attire. This is exceptional in my view and only makes me so more stoked for what's to come 🙂

Thank you!

I don't want to pick apart each piece (though I will if asked), but I will say that the older (0-7) pieces are not great in terms of setting up a clear concept for the average person. They lack focus and direction in their presentation. The best of them is 04, even though it lacks a sense of scale.

8-13 are much better in this regard, giving the audience a clear concept to focus on, and some visual guidance on what the establishing features of the piece are.

I understand that a world-builder or designer can use the unfocused or very busy/packed work as a better tool, but from a general audience perspective, they won't really strike awe, wonder, or curiosity.

• Informative
Reactions: Denis Dyack
I don't want to pick apart each piece (though I will if asked), but I will say that the older (0-7) pieces are not great in terms of setting up a clear concept for the average person. They lack focus and direction in their presentation. The best of them is 04, even though it lacks a sense of scale.

8-13 are much better in this regard, giving the audience a clear concept to focus on, and some visual guidance on what the establishing features of the piece are.

I understand that a world-builder or designer can use the unfocused or very busy/packed work as a better tool, but from a general audience perspective, they won't really strike awe, wonder, or curiosity.

Thanks, this is good feedback. We use these pieces as a starting point to build the game from an architectural perspective and are made for a public viewing perspective first, although I do see the value in that. Many concepts that are released to consumers are made for marketing and that express purpose.