Grim Scribe
Magus
Vampire Scholar
Harbinger
Mar 30, 2019
Hey everyone,

Memento Mori has arrived!

Malleus Odium:
"In the fetid darkness of the First Age, the Empire of Men was undone.
Buckled by a tide of tyranny and corruption, they hid from the Truth.
Deadhaus rules in their wake, and in the wars that would come, the living were overmatched.
Though they fled before us, we gave no chase, for the Dead are eternal. Our bell tolls for all.
Yet we sensed an enigma from their lands. It devoured the living long after we have ceased.
A great power that could not be ignored.
In search of answers, we sent forth the Vampire to the Western Reaches."

The Vampire:
"Ahh, yes, the Nobless sent the Vampire. An elite cast of the dead for so lonely a task as interrogating peasants.
But, the night was young and I was in a gracious mood. As it turned out, the humans were less than accommodating.
I tried to be reasonable, but, ultimately my eloquence was lost on them.
When diplomacy failed, I bid them a fond farewell and continued my search... refreshed.
Until at last I found what I was looking for... or rather, it found me.
And what a sight it was. A worthy match for the dance macabre."

Malleus Odium:
"Thus, war came to pass between the House of the Dead and the House of Giants.
The earth trembled in fear, and the sky howled the icy terror, but the Dead where unshaken.
For our bell tolls for all."

Assumptions & Information
- The in-game First Age will likely take part in the middle (or end) of its actual history. Meaning that by the time we start the game, there will likely already be war between Deadhaus, the Empire of Men, and Gigahaus. The video says that by the First Age they were already "undone", which suggests that they may even have had conflict before the period of the First Age, or their warring began on the First Age itself.
- Either the Empire of Men initiated their fight with Deadhaus in the center of their territory, or humans shared the territory of Deadhaus.
- Supposedly, the Dead did not bother chasing the living, they just expanded as they saw fit. That may or may not be true, Malleus may be a manipulative fellow.
- The drops of blood were representing the trail the humans went through while being pushed back by the Dead onto their current territory, as we can see in the Map Exploration video.
- Sigstrand might have been a central seat of power for the Empire of Men in the past. The city must have turned into ruins as they waged war and were forced to retreat.
- We can see the pillars of Nosgoth in the video. Though they are no longer of Nosgoth, but of something else instead. They are an obvious reference, and it could be that they will play some role in the history of DHS as well. There are 9 pillars, disposed equally to the pillars of Nosgoth, but in the middle of their alter circumference there is the Cosmology symbol of DHS, with some writings in Elder Futhark in it. People on the LoK Discord were trying to solve them. If anyone has more information, please post them below. There is also a sort of hole in the middle of the altar, which might be a form of well or something else.
- The cemetery is behind the pillars. Some of the locations shown are close to one another. There are plenty of graves and some crypts around the pillars as well. It might be that that altar with the pillars is a miniature version of something bigger.
- It seems that the forest shown is at the top of the cliff where the Vampire shows up to see the village.
- The Vampire mentions the Nobless, one of the political factions mentioned by Denis on stream. Not sure if that's how their name is written.
- This Vampire, and likely all other Undead, consider the Vampires to be a superior cast of Undead.
- The first encounter of the Dead with the Giants was likely not amicable. Seems they went straight for war. But who started it, and why?
- The Giant in the background coming from the dark seems to be of lupine nature. If you pay attention to the last frames, it's foot is shaped like that of a wolf. He also seems to be furred, and there are growls and howls as he appears. Malleus also says "sky howled the icy terror". "Howled" could be just a reference to how the wind makes stronger noises in a quick a shift of position, it could also be a reference to its lupine form. Also, wolves are known for living in cold regions. But the Giant could be, really, anything.
- Comparing the size of the Vampire to the environment and the Giant, it would seem the Giant is approximately 10 to 15 times higher than the Vampire... a size I have speculated them to have in previous conversations. But that does not mean this Giant in particular is representative of its species, or even that we won't find Giants of smaller and bigger sizes. We likely will.

Village_3.jpg
Village_2.jpg
Village_1.jpg
Vampire_Cliff.jpg
Pillars_2.jpg
Pillars.jpg
Giant_Scene.jpg
Forest.jpg
Cliff.jpg
Cemetery.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brolnir and Livin
"Ahh, yes, the Nobless sent the Vampire. An elite cast of the dead "

- This Vampire, and likely all other Undead, consider the Vampires as a superior cast of Undead.

Part of me would've preferred if this had been an instance for the vampire to keep up that arrogant streak by calling vampires the greatest of the undead or something along those lines instead of just an elite class. Could've been something to demonstrate a superiority complex against the other undead and foreshadowing a subtle contempt between them as each of the different undead believed themselves to be superior, helping each other while not necessarily liking one another.

Reactions: Golden Xan
I was analyzing the video once more and I could see the giant better this time around.
It definitely does not look lupine to me now, in 1080p. I don't know if you'll be able to properly see it in your screen, but with some amped up settings I was able to distinguish its features a little better.

I can see that it is furred throughout its body and that it has relatively long claws. Its face is also more human than it initially seemed. It has a clear face with two eyes, a nose and an open mouth. A bit weird from here. Looks like a Yeti.
1587690650334.png

The fur and its claw:------------------------------------And its face:
1587690947784.png 1587690968014.png

And something else that slipped by me the first few times is the fact that as the giant approaches, the scenario becomes chilled with the coming cold air. You can see the texture changing naturally in the barrel and the buildings, something that was subtle and hard to see on a lower quality, but a great detail in itself.

There was also this funny tidbit here: it reads "Memento Mori".
1587693486918.png

Last edited: