OG 2020
Grim Scribe
Eternal Champion
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Feb 21, 2018
Some Context

I am very interested in playing a role in a world unlike our own, but I always need a good concept or inspiration. My understanding of the undead is limited to basic popular culture, and based on that it doesn't seem too interesting to me. However, I'm very intrigued by and interested in the occult and magick. So I'm trying to find my way into the world of Deadhaus by studying the information available on the DHS website. Regarding that, I have a few questions:

Fate of a Liche's vessel

The Liche uses a living vessel as a medium to channel magick. I'm wondering what happens to such a vessel once their vitality is spent. Do they typically survive? Face true death? Or do they likely become undead themselves? In case of the latter, which class would they usually lean towards? A wraith? I'm rather liking the idea of a character that, during their life, was used by a Liche as a vessel, is now undead, and is seeking revenge. Would such an idea fit in the setting of DHS?

Some hints on wraiths

I was wondering if the wraith would be a class I would enjoy to play. The chart appears to suggest that they tend to be somewhere between magickal and contained. This seems to me like they are very similar in nature to genies, in that they are either tied to an "inanimate" object, or in a translucent, non-material form. Is this understanding accurate? Are wraiths, like genies, tied to a certain artifact, or can they freely choose their container? Further, does their lack of vitality implicate that if they sought containment in a live body, they would be unable to affect the creature's physical functions while conversely remaining unharmed by any physical damage done to their host? Or can they never be contained in a living entity?

True Names

Above all, the concept of True Names is inspiring a lot of thoughts in me. I would like to write a story involving that concept. But I don't want it to be a crappy fan art. It might be an important part of my character's backstory... but I want to do it right. As I'm not too familiar with stories of the undead, are there any specific rules being considered that I would have to keep in mind? Any theory or model you are using as a primary source? I'm not afraid to be creative, but I don't want to make up something that turns out not aligning with what you had in mind, either making me look stupid or causing you pain in having to work around it somehow. (Or both.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jalen.P
I'm rather liking the idea of a character that, during their life, was used by a Liche as a vessel, is now undead, and is seeking revenge.

This could lend itself to a Revenant. But maybe "revenge" wasn't really the term I was looking for. Maybe they are seeking justice. Maybe they are a spirit bound to this plane because they had a deep belief in justice when they were alive, and the amount of injustice they experienced when being used as a vessel interfered with their natural death, preventing their soul from passing on. Actually, I think I might be on to something here...

My creativity is too impatient to wait for answers... I have already drafted a backstory for my character, her parents, her mother's parents, her great-grandfather, the Liche and a witch. They also all have names now :D

It'd put my mind at ease if I knew that what I'm doing fits in with DHS lore. But even if it doesn't, it'd at least make for some interesting stories. A bit more drafting remains to be done, but then maybe I can post some.

• Winner
Reactions: Golden Xan
Hey Derula! You've got a lot of really good questions, and I'm really glad you're getting hyped to play Deadhaus Sonata already! I've summarized your post and prepared the questions so they can be answered on our Friday night live streams. I hope we can give you some answers, if they don't come up in the stream I'll press Denis for some information later on.

Great, I'll be watching!

Thanks for asking my questions @Jalen.P, even though I missed the stream, helps a lot.

No problem, @derula. Denis answered most of the questions in your post on the last stream, if you missed the answers to any of your questions let me know and I'll clarify.

No problem, @derula. Denis answered most of the questions in your post on the last stream, if you missed the answers to any of your questions let me know and I'll clarify.

Nope, I saw the VOD and got the answers, very helpful! - that's why I was saying thank you.
I see now that my phrasing was bad and made it sound like I didn't see the stream at all :D Sorry about that.