Raziel103

Ripe
OG 2020
Oct 22, 2020
hi to be honest here i am not big fan of mounts and pets especially in multiplayer online games because most of the time they are just cosmetics thing people buy to show off, yes mounts can make player move faster but in most of this type of games they don't effect the gameplay at all unlike games like Red Dead or Mount & Blade where you can use the mounts for combat,
for the pets they could have a mini games around them but most of the time they don't effect the "real game" gameplay.
another thing that i am afraid about that mounts and pets will ruin the dark atmosphere of this game, it will feel silly to have Wraith who run around with cute cat, dog or something like that and the same could be said for mounts even if all the mounts have dark theme some classes will not fit the mounts like Ghouls and Wraith only if all of the classes have huminoid forms and posters but that will also rune another major selling point of this game that we play as undead monsters.

this is just my opinion and i am sure there is many peoples who love pets and mounts and i also understand that cosmetics are important for free game to make money and pay the developes who work hard on it.

so i want to ask the question i have asked in the title (Mounts and Pets are just cosmetics or they will effect the gameplay ?), i understand if you don't want to share so much details about it for now but small hints will be good.

Reactions: Barkingworm
Solution
Pet like Cats, Dogs, Turtles etc... will be purely cosmetic.

Mounts, as the game develops, are more complicated as it gets into traversal of land over time. With PVP and eventually territorial conquest in relation to travel time, this could play a very important role in gameplay. As already mentioned in this thread, there is also shapeshifting travel, bats, dracoliches, etc.. :D So mounts should be considered, "To be determined" or TBD.
I don't have an official answer on this but as I understand mounts will have some kind of overland speed when used, and pets will likely come in both varieties. In some cases this won't be necessarily superior or better (ie, what's better, flying as a bat, or riding a horse you found that is probably spooked by undead?)

Those that are class granted are likely to be more of the variety that you're talking about where they have in combat function.

The other pets I've seen planned, the cosmetic type, still have "relevance" in that they say facts about the world and deliver exposition and such so that they still have value beyond just being a 3d follow model (think like the Destiny 2 hover bots, whatever they are called, I forget).

It's likely those in the latter option are likely to be designed in such a way that they don't appear to be combatants (like a floating skull or something) and the ones that are inclined to be in game combatants as class features will probably be skinnable for monetization purposes.

What this means is that in both cases, players that prefer cosmetic only pets will have options and those that want mechanics pets will have options.

I see that as the best of both worlds to allow you to engage your character concept as you choose.

Last edited:
I don't have an official answer on this but as I understand mounts will have some kind of overland speed when used, and pets will likely come in both varieties. In some cases this won't be necessarily superior or better (ie, what's better, flying as a bat, or riding a horse you found that is probably spooked by undead?)

Those that are class granted are likely to be more of the variety that you're talking about where they have in combat function.

The other pets I've seen planned, the cosmetic type, still have "relevance" in that they say facts about the world and deliver exposition and such so that they still have value beyond just being a 3d follow model (think like the Destiny 2 hover bots, whatever they are called, I forget).

It's likely those in the latter option are likely to be designed in such a way that they don't appear to be combatants (like a floating skull or something) and the ones that are inclined to be in game combatants as class features will probably be skinnable for monetization purposes.

What this means is that in both cases, players that prefer cosmetic only pets will have options and those that want mechanics pets will have options.

I see that as the best of both worlds to allow you to engage your character concept as you choose.
even if i go for mount that fit the world of the game, the people who i am going to play with they will not have the same taste and they will maybe go for funny silly mounts and pets,
i can evoid that by playing solo but like in Diablo and PoE most of the end game expariance will be around multiplayer.
Purely cosmetic - has been asked quite a few times now
sorry for the spam, i didn't seen the question before ...
i undrstand if we gonna have a bug map than we need something like mounts to move faster around the map, but at least for me it will not feel cool to play undead character that have pet and ride a mount, it maybe acceptable for some classes but others like Banshee Ghoul or Wraith i don't think it will fit this classes fantasy.
we play as undead characters and that something very rare to see in video games, but many points in the gameplay feel more like we play normal human hero character.
there could be many cool ways for the undead to move around the map than using mounts, for example if you played LoK Blood Omen Kain transform to bats and fly to move around the map, the Vampire Class could use something like that, maybe the Lich have ability to open portals and teleport to any place he want in the map but ability like that wil have very long CD ...
but Deadhaus is F2P game and cosmatics it the main way to make money ...

Well, the vampire will be able to transform into a giant bat and probably fly around. It is not like one way of transportation prohibits another and the undead were human before after all so it would be perfectly natural to keep pets... not sure if those pets should be undead but honestly if they can be it would be awesome.

even if i go for mount that fit the world of the game, the people who i am going to play with they will not have the same taste and they will maybe go for funny silly mounts and pets,
i can evoid that by playing solo but like in Diablo and PoE most of the end game expariance will be around multiplayer.

sorry for the spam, i didn't seen the question before ...
i undrstand if we gonna have a bug map than we need something like mounts to move faster around the map, but at least for me it will not feel cool to play undead character that have pet and ride a mount, it maybe acceptable for some classes but others like Banshee Ghoul or Wraith i don't think it will fit this classes fantasy.
we play as undead characters and that something very rare to see in video games, but many points in the gameplay feel more like we play normal human hero character.
there could be many cool ways for the undead to move around the map than using mounts, for example if you played LoK Blood Omen Kain transform to bats and fly to move around the map, the Vampire Class could use something like that, maybe the Lich have ability to open portals and teleport to any place he want in the map but ability like that wil have very long CD ...
but Deadhaus is F2P game and cosmatics it the main way to make money ...
there has not been much talk about Mounts in general... the best I can remember hearing about was possibly loading screen animations.
pets have been stated to be Cosmetic multiple times though

Well, the vampire will be able to transform into a giant bat and probably fly around. It is not like one way of transportation prohibits another and the undead were human before after all so it would be perfectly natural to keep pets... not sure if those pets should be undead but honestly if they can be it would be awesome.
some type of undead can fit mounts like the Death Knights in WoW or the Nazguls in LotR but other type of undead who look more like monsters or ghosts i don't think they will look cool on top of a mounts.
again this is just my opinion on the subject.

some type of undead can fit mounts like the Death Knights in WoW or the Nazguls in LotR but other type of undead who look more like monsters or ghosts i don't think they will look cool on top of a mounts.
again this is just my opinion on the subject.
Monsters... depends on how monstrous they are really. If they are generally humanoid - why not. Also it is not really said that it is a horse that they ride. As for the ghosts... there's a song called Ghost Riders in the Sky inspired by the legends of the Wild Hunt. Ghostly riders and dogs, sometimes accompanied by fairies or valkyries or elves. My personally favourite version of the concept is the one who's motto is "Join, hide or die!"

Mounts, as the game develops, are more complicated as it gets into traversal of land over time. With PVP and eventually territorial conquest in relation to travel time, this could play a very important role in gameplay. As already mentioned in this thread, there is also shapeshifting travel, bats, dracoliches, etc.. :D So mounts should be considered, "To be determined" or TBD.

Solution

thank you for the response,
there is manythings idk about this game, i didn't know there is pvp and "terrtitorial conquest" 😮? (is that PVP or PVE ???)
returning to the topic like i said in this post i am not big fan of mounts in games like mmo-rpg because all the mounts are the same with different models like in world of warcraft they allow us to ride huge dragons but we can't use them in combat ...
but now knowing that i could use other ways to move in map faster without braking the atmosphere of the world and my character is good for peoples like me.

• Happy
Reactions: Denis Dyack
is that PVP or PVE ???
My pleasure on the response! Both in some cases but the goal, for the most part, will be PVP vs different Houses. The House of the Dead is only one of Nine major houses to be released. There may be some PVE against some minor houses for territory.

Reactions: Raziel103
My pleasure on the response! Both in some cases but the goal, for the most part, will be PVP vs different Houses. The House of the Dead is only one of Nine major houses to be released. There may be some PVE against some minor houses for territory.
Omg ! this is huge in both gameplay and lore,
i thought the game was build just for the undead classes but now i see the reasons for many design choices like the mounts.
i have many questions now but i will try to ask the most important ones for me.

what is this game type ?
at start i thought this is third person action RPG but with Multiplayer and Singelplayer like Diablo ... but with this info's (PVP & Houses/Factions) it felt more like MMO-RPG.

i know it so early to ask this question but the other 8 houses will have different classes with different ideas (like the 3 forms in the undead classes) ?

this is really very interesting i never seen a game try something big like that, i can't wait to see more and i wish you guys all the success !

what is this game type ?
A cloud-first narrative-driven ARPG. Many people ask why to make this online and free to play. One of the answers is persistence and evolution, something you could not do with a traditional premium game. The evolution will take place over several years, but so far, our plans are like nothing I have yet seen in the video game industry.

know it so early to ask this question but the other 8 houses will have different classes with different ideas (like the 3 forms in the undead classes) ?
Yes, new class, forms, and narrative - all completely asymmetrical.
this is really very interesting i never seen a game try something big like that, i can't wait to see more and i wish you guys all the success !

Thank you. We plan on changing the way people play games. Please spread the word!

I am not sure why you think pets would break the game world. Maybe not all classes might have pets, but pets and the use of animals has been in undead lore. There is lore where the undead can communicate with animals or use them as scouts etc. I could see ghouls using dogs or wolves to track and corner their prey. Revenants are going to need warhorses (maybe a Gryphon hint hint!!!). we know dragons are coming.

But I think the idea of pets like cats and turtles are for community areas or something you can interact with at your castle, cave, dungeon base etc. I really don't think pets will be taken on missions and into combat.

I am not sure why you think pets would break the game world. Maybe not all classes might have pets, but pets and the use of animals has been in undead lore. There is lore where the undead can communicate with animals or use them as scouts etc. I could see ghouls using dogs or wolves to track and corner their prey. Revenants are going to need warhorses (maybe a Gryphon hint hint!!!). we know dragons are coming.

But I think the idea of pets like cats and turtles are for community areas or something you can interact with at your castle, cave, dungeon base etc. I really don't think pets will be taken on missions and into combat.
I am not saying that pets will brake the game they will just ruin the mood of the game for me because i expected the game to be 100% dark like LoK series or the GoW series, so having cute pet following badass lich or vampire around will not make the characters feel serious.

but now i understand the game will not be 100% dark like LoK i think this game will focus more on the comunity and the ingame events, also undead classes will not be the only playable classes so pets and mounts will make sense if you play as human class or something like that.

I am not saying that pets will brake the game they will just ruin the mood of the game for me because i expected the game to be 100% dark like LoK series or the GoW series, so having cute pet following badass lich or vampire around will not make the characters feel serious.

but now i understand the game will not be 100% dark like LoK i think this game will focus more on the comunity and the ingame events, also undead classes will not be the only playable classes so pets and mounts will make sense if you play as human class or something like that.
I hear you but it is hard for me to think of a game with multiplayer that can be really dark. Part of the tension is being alone as you play and not having any distractions. A perfect example is Dead Space. The first game had a great atmosphere and real tension but when they added coop it took away from the feeling of doom and then the other person would talk through or want to skip a cutscene etc. You really can't get that immesered when playing with someone else even if they are just saying OMG look at that.

Senua's Sacrifice had a really dark story but I could not see that working in a multiplayer game.

It will be interesting to see how they mix multiplayer with story. I like what they did in Too Human where you played solo for the story and multiplayer for the loot grind speed runs etc.

I hear you but it is hard for me to think of a game with multiplayer that can be really dark. Part of the tension is being alone as you play and not having any distractions. A perfect example is Dead Space. The first game had a great atmosphere and real tension but when they added coop it took away from the feeling of doom and then the other person would talk through or want to skip a cutscene etc. You really can't get that immesered when playing with someone else even if they are just saying OMG look at that.

Senua's Sacrifice had a really dark story but I could not see that working in a multiplayer game.

It will be interesting to see how they mix multiplayer with story. I like what they did in Too Human where you played solo for the story and multiplayer for the loot grind speed runs etc.
Dark atmosphire don't need to be scary like dead space, what i men by Dark that make the player feel like he live in harsh world.
i will use Diablo again for examples, in Diablo 1 and 2 the game was all about player powers and loot, there is a story in the games for sure but you can have fun with the game even if you don't care about the story.

Diablo 3 had much better gameplay than the 1 and 2 but people didn't like the game for many reasons, some of this reasons are the way the chracters and world hae been made with bright colors with cosmetics like pets and wings so the world of the game didn't feel as dark like D1&2.

good thing that Diablo 4 aim to return the same art style of D2 and make the world feel darker, the game is online and it feel like mmo-rpg but for every zone they give a limit to how many player can show up so the player don't feel safe and the world will not feel alove like in mmo-rpg, the player will feel like he is alone in harsh world even if he play in party, and so far we know there is mounts but they fit the world and characters, but there is no pets or wings for now like D3.

I want my pets to be weapons, creatures that rest on your arm like a cat or on your shoulder like a bird when your moving along and engaging your targets alongside you.

As for undead style mounts I'd prefer something I could customize to fit my needs, from traversing terrain more easily to enhanced combat potential in a fight. The closest thing I can think of is the robot from Dark Cloud 2.