OG 2020
Grim Scribe
Magus
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Mar 30, 2019
Hey everyone,

December 30 came and went and together with it we had the Ghoul art reveal stream. Here are the images shown and every other bit I noticed.

Ghoul 1.jpg

Ghoul 2.jpg

Ghoul 3.jpg

Ghoul 4.jpg

Ghoul 5.jpg
The most characteristic features of the Ghoul seem to be stretched limbs, ripped skin, protruding bones, curved posture, deformities, large claws and a wide maw. It seems that the final Ghoul version is blind, which might be an indication that every Ghoul is blind itself, which makes it even more disturbing. They also seem to like to decorate their environments with organic matter. They seem to be in a form of den, and this is the first class to be portrayed with multiple individuals, suggesting the Ghouls may not always be solitary creatures, and perhaps more inclined to a collective than most.

1609530550252.png1609530596703.png
Ghoul companion 1 and 2.

Of the finer details we can notice, there is a symbol carved in this Ghoul's forehead. I wonder what it represents, and whether it was self-inflicted or not. My theory is that this mark indicates this person was possessed by the spirit of hunger, I believe it is a mark that the spirit itself leaves on the individual it merged with.

1609530623148.png
We can also notice details about the teeth explained on the class description. Jagged teeth, multiple rows of them, replaced the originals There are no molars on this creature, only canine-like teeth, made for rending. The upper part of the mouth also doesn't seem to match the mandible in length, and the opening of the throat has sinews. Curious, you'd imagine the Ghoul's mouth would be as open as possible for a fast ingestion. Perhaps that's the way it can sustain having such an outstretched jaw.

The skin of the Ghoul is almost completely torn. There is muscle and bone exposed everywhere. It is indeed obviously sustained in a supernatural way, and it is even more scary than the Vampire because of how disturbingly it resembles and differs from a human.

The same capacity it uses for shapeshifting itself must be used in the creation of its cove, because those pillars of tendon must not have been easily made. This makes me believe that the Ghoul is indeed just a mass of matter holding a strong spirit within, a spirit that controls the mass, but that has little attachment to it besides its use as a vessel, as it can morph its body as necessary willingly.

My favorite concept so far has to be that of the Ghoul, because of how unique it is. No game lets you quite play like a serious monster such as this.

Aside from the class itself, Denis had a few interesting notes:

- In some cases you may not know about your past as human in your character's origin story, but in others not only you might as you will have to understand who you were to understand where you are right now. That makes sense.

- There will be levels of verticality, but it is something they are tackling carefully because that can strongly affect combat.

- In the story, your characters don't always play the same "role". Rather, each character may be known or unknown in different levels according to your actions and decisions. Anything different than that would work against the narrative structure of the game.

- Deadhaus will have a sort of "wiki" coming soon. I wonder whether we'll be able to edit it, and whether that's inspired on the SCP Foundation. Could this be a way for us to create stories as well?

- They are considering locking the current Founders Packs and creating entire new sets or add-ons.

- There are some massive announcements to come at the beginning of this year.

- Each class will have their own sets of weapons. Ghouls will have short-ranged close combat weapons.

Attachments

• 1609530570408.png
    1609530570408.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Lovely. Probably the most inhuman together with Wraits of all the undead, and the concept art is very evocative too.

The "den" (potential home? can we talk about home for ghouls? they look pretty animalistic :unsure: ) with skulls and the human remains is great, absolutely chilling.

The symbol on the forehead (or possibly in a different position that may differ from ghoul to ghoul) intrigues me, i'm very curious about the story behind it

When i saw it i too theorised it may be engraved on the body upon total possession by the hunger spirit, possibly the symbol may gradually become visible on the body the more the spirit has a grip on it until it manifest as shown in the pictures

I hope they will talk more about the lore behind it, if this spirit is demonic in nature it may place the ghoul in a strange place if demons will become one day a playable race (expecially if they will be based on the great seven sins)

The fact that they are blind (or at least partially blind or with a weak sight) could mean that their other senses are even more developed compared with other undeads (which have supernaturally enchanted senses to begin with) and the fact they appear to gather in "packs" may suggest their deployment as "hounds" to do hunts mission or searching/scoping/exploring (sending packs of these things to look for traps or ambushes while the rest of the army is advancing for example), or using them as shock troops flooding the enemy and taking advantage of their speed and agility (long limbs right? and the "legs" make me think they can sprint very effectively)

I'm also curios about their weapons (they probably would be ok even whitout them to be fair), i assume short range weapons means anything shorter than a one hand sword can work with them but i could be wrong.

Anyway very, very cool (this thing makes some Resident Evil creatures look almost cute 😁)