Galen

Ripe
Feb 3, 2021
Everyone loves Diablo and its successors, but one thing I just can't stand is how Diablo does loot. Having to stop every two minutes to take stock of your inventory, overview each single item and compare them against eachother just to decide which one to toss out and lose forever. I can't and won't speak for everyone, but speaking personally that is the biggest time sync and one of the biggest turn offs in gaming for me.

The issue isn't receiving a lot of loot. The issue is not having the space to contain it, and/or having to actively manage it so you can grab more. See here how Blizzard intentionally makes items multiple different shapes and your inventory a shape-based game mechanic?
IOyLZHp.png

This is hell.

Last edited:
Rule of thumb for Diablo - never pick up whites, get blues and above until your inventory is full, portal to town and look at the items and how they compare to your equipment while selling them.

Some games have lots and lots of either useless items, or items that eventually become obsolete and only bloat the experience. That is something that should be indeed avoided.

I disagree completely. Having a lot of randomly generated items drop means that there is a lot of variety in the loot you get. While most of it is useless you still regularly get items that are marginally better than what you currently have. This creates a constant sense of progression and alleviates the frustration of going hours and hours grinding at a dungeon trying to find that one item that is an upgrade to your current build. Having all of those randomly generated items drop also means that you don't need to create specific vendor trash items that are there only to sell to vendors which is what a lot of games do in order to let players acquire gold. Of course some games go overboard with the trash loot, make the useful item drop rates extremely small and make it extremely hard to know what loot to get in order to sell... which is why I have been saying that the system in Path of Exile is complete crap from the game's inception... but most aRPGs don't really suffer from that.

The issue isn't receiving a lot of loot. The issue is not having the space to contain it, and/or having to actively manage it so you can grab more. See here how Blizzard intentionally makes items multiple different shapes and your inventory a shape-based game mechanic?
IOyLZHp.png

This is hell.

• Agree
Reactions: Temuldjin
So the problems is not how Diablo does loot but how older Diablo games do inventory. Yeah, inventory tetris is annoying.

P.S. IMO weight based systems are even more annoying.

• Agree
Of course some games go overboard with the trash loot, make the useful item drop rates extremely small and make it extremely hard to know what loot to get in order to sell... which is why I have been saying that the system in Path of Exile is complete crap from the game's inception... but most aRPGs don't really suffer from that.
Both PoE and Diablo use very similar loot drop systems the only major difference being Diablos items sell for gold and more gold... where-as PoE completely got rid of gold and put in a trade system which - when you learn to use it can be helpful a 3 linked red, blue, green for example gives you a chromatic gem to use rather than scrap... or a 6 sockted item giving you a jeweler orb. so the issue comes down to more learning the "vendor recipes" to get the best value rather than looking at the sell price - course Diablo 2 did the same exact thing with both the horadric cube and the runewords people had to discover what to put into the cube to make things and they also had to find the right rune words to create the specific items. Amn El Ith Tir Sol for example on a weapon fortunatly there are websites with lists for those kind of thing. and there are also item filters for path of exile that you can use to hide the "trash" and only display the better stuff.

as far as inv. management sure both games have limited space - Diablo series being worse than PoEs(they give more bank slots - which you can spend real money on to gain even more) but they also use those items to trade amongst players which creates a better economy system with item values.

what personally do not like seeing is a bank stash full of a lot of USELESS things that clog up your limited space. on the image below there is like 6 stacks full of dragonite ore and shards - they are unsellable, and untradeable to other people as they are account bound and you need them for specific things - you get a little bit each day if i remember correctly but after awhile its more of a chore just to delete them because you dont need 20,000 of them in your bank. but there are to many items in the game like this which makes item management way more of a pain than Diablos or PoEs systems.

24tab9kmqpr21.jpg

Reactions: Galen
PoE's reliance on the trade system is what makes the loot so much more cumbersome than Diablo. In order to get useful items for that system randomly you need to generate so much loot that it clogs the screen and it is completely impossible to play without said filters. Even with the filters you still have to have memorized recipes to know how to trade them in and you have to store items in your stash until a later time where you have found the rest of the recipe ingredients. In comparison in DIablo you look at the color and get the items based on that. Then you can use the money on various things to get the things you want. Even runewords and crafted items require items that take 1 space in your inventory while some of the recipes in PoE might require multiple items of 8 slots depending on the luck of the draw. There's a reason we use money and do not trade wool for fruit nowadays.

Oh, and because PoE's economy is heavily based on trading getting loot is not exciting because you can always trade for something better unless you get that ultra-rare loot that you cannot trade for because it would require so much grinding that you would never be able to afford it. But of course you are not gonna get it from a drop because if you can get it from a drop at any reasonable time then the market will get even more oversaturated and the loot game will go to shit completely. Basically what I'm saying is that "healthy" economy leads to less a enjoyable game.

PoE's reliance on the trade system is what makes the loot so much more cumbersome than Diablo. In order to get useful items for that system randomly you need to generate so much loot that it clogs the screen and it is completely impossible to play without said filters. Even with the filters you still have to have memorized recipes to know how to trade them in and you have to store items in your stash until a later time where you have found the rest of the recipe ingredients. In comparison in DIablo you look at the color and get the items based on that. Then you can use the money on various things to get the things you want. Even runewords and crafted items require items that take 1 space in your inventory while some of the recipes in PoE might require multiple items of 8 slots depending on the luck of the draw. There's a reason we use money and do not trade wool for fruit nowadays.

Oh, and because PoE's economy is heavily based on trading getting loot is not exciting because you can always trade for something better unless you get that ultra-rare loot that you cannot trade for because it would require so much grinding that you would never be able to afford it. But of course you are not gonna get it from a drop because if you can get it from a drop at any reasonable time then the market will get even more oversaturated and the loot game will go to shit completely. Basically what I'm saying is that "healthy" economy leads to less a enjoyable game.
most of this doesn't apply to me... mostly because i like Hardcore Solo Self Found, i only do softcore when im testing a new build or what not.... but as far as most of the recipes go.... trying to save the 8 peice gear related stuff is not worth it... unless its a unique or a rare with good to great stats its not worth keeping either.

but the randomness of both Diablo and PoE are what make the games more interesting. if everything that dropped had the same exact stats there would be no reason for the loot - both the games are loot based games, borderlands is exactly the same as well a ton of "trash" items and a few great items mixed into a bunch of small upgrades here and there.

Not sure if the SSF drop rates are better than the regular ones. I love aRPGs and the related genres but I dislike PoE specifically because of how it does loot. To be fair - I haven't played the game for years now because of how much I dislike that system.

For the love of god and everything that is holy! Led items how ever big or small (Twohanded Great sword / a ring) fill just 1 slot in you're inventory.

And led consumables stack up to 999.

Quest items should go in to an unlimited pouch just for quest items that does not take up any space from you're inventory.

I think I recall Denis saying in one of the first streams I watched that he doesn't want DHS to be an inventory management simulator, so we ought to be ok. ;)

I think I recall Denis saying in one of the first streams I watched that he doesn't want DHS to be an inventory management simulator, so we ought to be ok. ;)
All we can do is hope and cross our fingers :)

But ye, I do remember having watched Him say that.