Malleus Monday
OG 2020
Grim Scribe
Prophet
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Mar 28, 2019

Books part of this video: The Works of HP Lovecraft, Malazan Book of The Fallen, Dracula, Thomas Ligotti: Songs of a Dead Dreamer and more!, The Shining, The Black Company, The Dark Tower, The Stormlight Series, Pet Sematary, The Gentleman Bastard Cycle, Conan The Barbarian/Solomon Kane, The First Law Series

Some of the books are also in this forum post.

Hi everyone! this thread is dedicated to books or writings and suggestions of things to read to get everyone in the Deadhaus mood. From Dark fantasy to sci fi and everything in between. Here is the start of what I think would be good readings that are easy get a hold of and (mostly) quck to get through.
DSC02520.jpg

error.jpg
Unkown Artists

THE NECROSCOPE SAGA by Brian Lumley - Vampire Fiction, Horror Fiction, Mystery Thriller, Cold War Fiction, Eldritch Horror.

I started this series last year and finished it this year in January. Thanks to Denis for the recommendation.
the series follow Harry Keogh:Necroscope as each book sees him battling with an evil vampire that him and his friends have to stop.
these are dark books, gross and not for the faint of heart. Seriously some of the details made my stomach churn by I couldn't stop reading.
the series consists of five core books and bunch of spin offs but I suggest this:

NECROSCOPE
NECROSCOPE 2: Wamphyri(pronounced Vam- Fear- ee)
NECROSCOPE 3 : The Source
NECROSCOPE 4: Deadspeak
NECROSCOPE 5: Deadspawn
followed by
BLOOD BROTHERS
THE LAST AERIE
BLOODWARS

the rest of the series is just side stories and more cold war antics but in my opinion they don't reach the lightning in a bottle that the main series has.

elric_of_melnibone_by_israllona_d2p03a2-fullview.jpg
unknown artist

THE ELRIC SAGA/ETERNAL CHAMPION by Michael Moorcock - Dark fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, Pulp Fiction
Much like Necroscope, The Elric Saga had a big influence on Blood Omen. The look, themes and even some of the world of Nosgoth
could fit right in with Moorcocks writing. Seriously once you read these books youll realize Blood Omen is the closest thing we might ever get to a proper
Elric Game. A fantastic Love letter for sure. Besides the core elric books I suggest all of moorcocks eternal champion books like Hawkmoon and Corum.

1. ELRIC OF MELNIBONE
2. THE FORTRESS OF THE PEARL
3. THE SAILOR ON THE SEAS OF FATE
4.THE WEIRD OF THE WHITE WOLF
5. THE VANISHING TOWER (alt title The Sleeping Sorceress)
6. THE REVENGE OF THE ROSE
7. THE BANE OF THE BLACK SWORD
8. STORMBRINGER
also the French comics release are great as well and serve as an excellent introduction if you want some gorgeous art to look at
THE RUBY THRONE
STORMBRINGER
THE WHITE WOLF

il_570xN.1879869088_pdh1.jpg art by Ben Templesmith

THE COMPLETE WORKS OF HP LOVECRAFT....its Lovecraft..
Now with Lovecraft I recommend a big grain of salt given he was a huge racist and xenophobe and that unfortunately dates his work and leaves somewhat
of a bad taste. However, I honestly recommend taking that deep breath and continuing onward. His work might be slow at times but its worth it.
I'm serious about the complete works....all of it.
but if I had to pick 5:

THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE
THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME
THE WHISPERER IN THE DARKNESS
THE CALL OF CTHULHU
THE RATS IN THE WALLS

51fEdoux39L.jpg
THE MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN SAGA By Steven Erickson and Ian Cameron Esslemont - Epic Fantasy...like REALLY EPIC FANTASY seriously its probably going to go down as the longest and largest Fantasy series in the history of literature by the time its finished. it has already passed The Wheel of Time saga and Discworld (also recommended) in word count and book length.

Honestly I'm gonna say research this one and see if you want to even try and taking it on. I plan on starting this next....maybe? sometime?
Thanks again to Denis Dyack for the recommendation on this one

Drenai-Series-reading-order.jpg
THE DRENAI SAGA by David Gemmell - Heroic Fantasy, Epic Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Historical Fiction(kind of) Sword and Sorcery, Military Fiction....Road trip adventure?

As of writing this I'm currently on the first book in this series proper (Waylander). Now ive read Gemmell before. He is known as one of the best contemporary fiction writers of the age(RIP)
He has a wonderful TROY series but this was his bread and butter.

1. KIGHTS OF DARK RENOWN(standalone prequel but still in the Drenai Universe set 1800 years before the saga proper)
  2. MORNINGSTAR(standalone prequel but still in the Drenai Universe set some time after knights of dark renown, also the only book in first person)
  3. WAYLANDER(book 1 in the Drenai Saga)
  4. WAYLANDER II: In the Realm of the Wolf
  5. HERO IN THE SHADOWS
  6. THE FIRST CHRONICLES OF DRUSS THE LEGEND
  7. THE LEGEND OF DEATHWALKER
  8. WHITE WOLF
  9. LEGEND
  10. THE KING BEYOND THE GATE
  11. QUEST FOR LOST HEROES
  12. WINTER WARRIORS
  13. THE SWORDS OF NIGHT AND DAY

Now ill probably update this as I go along with reading or recommends but please feel free to chime in with anything and everything :)

Update 4/28/20

stoker-bram-first-B20022-57.jpg

How could I forget Dracula?

its a classic. its THE VAMPIRE NOVEL.

its the basis for every vampire thing ever in fiction at this point.

BUT its a slow, novel. I love it. I grew up on Dracula and stories like it from its era.
if you can get through its old way of writing and the somewhat slow tread of the scientific middle portion its great.

UPDATE 4/30/20

goosebumps-logo-green-700x328.jpg

totally serious about this one lol

R.L. Stine is a genius. There is a good chance all or most of us grew up reading his works as kids or young adults and having it scare the living
daylights out of us. From GOOSEBUMPS to FEAR STREET or even his standalone horror works. His work is still scary and holds up surprisingly well.

a lot of it also availbe on Audible or libraries if listening is your thing like me. Plus there is the TV series on Netflix (for now anyway)
I have no specific suggestion here because any Goosebumps or Fear street novel is great to choose from.

863989-cool-the-wheel-of-time-wallpapers-1920x1080-for-samsung.jpg

WHEEL OF TIME by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson - Epic Fantasy, Fantasy.

while I havnt read this series personally I hear its amazing. Suggested by Iain.
My friend keeps re reading this series over and over also.
I plan on getting around to eventually. they are also availbe on audible and audio format.

Blood_and_chocolate.jpg

BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE/THE SILVER KISS by Anette Curtis Klaus - Urban Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult, Werewolf love story. Vampire love story.

Another fav of mine. I read this when i was around 13/14 years old. Its a young adult romance novel and it feels like that in some parts but mostly
its a book about growing up and finding yourself. The main character Viv is a young she wolf looking for love, throw some shakespeare in there and philosophy and theres your book. The transformations are amazing. The exterior forest scenes make me feel like i am there. i smell the pines and hear and rivers. Its great. i suggest reading this one physically as the audio book form has a narrator i dont like.

The Silver Kiss is similar only with a human girl and a male, white haired, red eyed punk rock vampire.

5/10/20

THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING/Le Morte d'Arthur by T.H. White/ Sir Thomas Malory - Arthurian Myth, Fantasy, Epic Fantasy.

whichever one you go with (The Once and Future King is easier to read) its the tale of Arthur that im sure we all know.
Ever since that Sword video ive been hunting down the same replica of Excalibur and looking up arthur stuff.
it might be more a product of SK times but still good fantasy and something else to read to understand Denis' influences and get into his head.
Plus Merlin is a fantastic character.

Last edited:
I have been currently reading necroscope after seeing it recommend in the discord. Great idea to put a list of books here to get a rough idea of some of the literary influences on storytelling thar Denis Dyack enjoys and might draw inspiration from

Absolutely awesome, Calypso! Thank you very much for bringing this up. I began looking for references to base my suggestions in just yesterday, and you come up with this. :)

Reactions: Calypso
Of all the series listed which would you suggest starting with... Im not a huge reader but i cheat and use audible :)

Of all the series listed which would you suggest starting with... Im not a huge reader but i cheat and use audible :)

I use audible too Varik. Sadly Elric isn't in audio book form and the only 2 that exist are impossible to find.

Otherwise the rest are on Audible. Id say start with Necroscope because its the shortest.
currently the first five are on there and the others are being worked on.
the first Necroscope is a slow slow burn. it took me a while to get into it but then it picks up. its a lot of character building mostly.

Both of Lovecrafts complete works and his collaborations are on audible as well. But those are good for short bursts rather than a long slog of listening.

if you are in a more fantasy mood (necroscope is more urban fiction with an old world feel) the Drenai series im currently on is good and the second shortest on audible.

Dracula is an option too if you havnt read it. plenty of good version to choose from but again with it being old short hand it can be difficult for a lot of people to get through. (theres always the movies instead)

im still crossing my fingers on the day Elric finally, if ever reaches audible.

I found some links that may be of use.
This seems to be the full list of the Necroscope series:

And this of The Elric Saga:

Of the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series:

The Drenai Saga:

And of H. P. Lovecraft:

Last edited:
I d like to recommend Necronomicon by Donald Tyson. There's Lovecraft lore but it's not just a generic Cthulu mythos book. It's really well written and I personally found it scary. It even gave me some nightmares!