Ageless
OG 2020
Grim Scribe
Magus
Vampire Scholar
Harbinger
Mar 30, 2019
Hey everyone,

In my search for materials to use as reference in my suggestions, I came upon this somewhat bizarre collection of vampire types. It seems incomplete, and I have no idea who was/were its author(s). It also has some definitions that might be wrong (such as one of the Brazilian versions), or poorly described.

Most of them are folklore from various cultures, but I figured they could serve as concepts for either stories, abilities, or maybe even visuals for the Vampire and else. I've also noticed that some of these names have been treated as actual individuals. For example, Vukodlak is an Antediluvian (the oldest kind of vampire) in Vampire: The Masquerade, and is also the final boss. In this collection it has varied definitions, but is not treated as a particularly menacing creature.

The one definition that I can talk about is Lobisomem (written as Lobishomem in the collection). It means werewolf, and the definition given is completely different from what I've ever known. It might be a very old version of Brazilian folklore, because the image of werewolves has become pretty standard to us as being the same as the American version, mostly due to movies.
And also, the name used for Portugal's vampire is "Bruxa", which means "Witch". I don't know why that would be associated with vampires, but they say it was used so because they sucked children's blood. Seems like they are using a loose definition for vampires, and this might apply to all others... Keep that in mind.

The collection is far too big to put it here, so I attached it as a file in PDF to anyone who's interested.

The list without the definitions are as follows:

Africa - Adze/Asasabonsam/Impundulu/Ishologu/Loango/Obayifo/Romanga
Albania - Kukudhi/Lugat/Sampiro/Shtriga
Armenia - Dakhanavar
Assyria - Akakarm/Akakhura
Austria - Habergeiss/Schrattl/Vampire
Australia - Mrart/Yara-ma-yha-who
Babylonia - Ekimmu/Lilitu/Utukku
Belarus - Mjertovjec
Bengal - Chordewa
Benin - Asiman/Obayifo
Bohemia - Ogoljen
Bosnia-Herzegovina - Blautsauger/Lampir
Brazil - Jaracacas/Lobishomen
Bulgaria - Armenki/Drakus/Grobnik//Krvopijac/Nejit/Okostnik/Opachina/ Plotenik/Topyak/Ubour/Ustrel/Vipir
China - Chiang Shih/Kiang-Kouei/K'Uei/Hsi-hsue-kuei
Crete - Kathakano
Czech Republic - Murasi/Ogoljen
Germany - Alp/Bluatsauger/Dockele/Doppelsauger/Gierach/Gierrach/ Girrach/Nachtzehrer
Ghana - Adze/Asasabonsam
Greece - Alitos/Anaikatoumenos/Anakathoumenos/Anarracho/Bruculaco/ Callicantzaros/Catacano/Empusa/Lamiai/Vrykolakas
Gypsy folklore - Bibi/Dhampir
Iceland - Alfemoe/Draugr
India - Apsaras/Baitel/Bhuta/Brahmaparush/Chedipe/Churel/Gayal/Hanh/Saburo/Hantpare/Jigarkhor/Jigarkhwar/ Kali/Mah`anah/ Masani/Pisacha/Punyaiama/Rakshasa/Yaksha
Indonesia (also known as Java) - Buo/Daitja/Pontianak
Ireland - Bhean Sidhe/Deamhain Fhola/Dearg-Dul/Dreach-Fhoula /Fear Gortagh/Leanhaum-Shee/Murbhheo/Neamh-Mhairbh/
Israel - Aluga/Estrie/Motetz Dam
Italy - Strega/Stregoni benefici/Strix
Japan - Hannya/Kappa/Kasha/Krappa
Lithuania - Aitvar
Macedonia - Vryolakas
Madagascar - Ramanga
Malaysia - Bas/Bâjang/Langsuyar/Mati-Anak/Pelesit/Penanggalan/Polong
Mexico - Camazotz/Chupacabra/Cihuacoatl/Cihuateteo/Civatate/ Tlacique/Tlahuelpuchi
Montenegro - Tenatz
Morlacchia - Vrukolak
Namibia - Otgiruru
Peru - Gierach/Pishtaco
The Philippines - Aswang/Bebarlangs/Danag/Mandurago
Poland - Njetop/Ohyn/Przypoludnica/Upier (male)/Upiercsa (female)/ Vjesci/Wieszczy
Polynesia - Talamaur
Portugal - Bruxa
Prussia - Gierach/Stryz/Viesczy
Romania - Bobon/CEL-RÃU/Iele/Nosferatu/Samca/Strigoiu/Vircolac/ Zburator/Zmeu
Russia - Ereticy/Mjertovjec/Odoroten/Upierczi/Vampir/Wampir/Xloptuny
Saudi Arabia - Afrit/Algul/Ghul
Scotland - Baobban Sith/Burach Bhaoi/Glaistig/Redcaps
Serbia - Jedogonja/Krvopija/Milo/Vlkodlak
Siberia - Aniukha
Silesia - Sriz
Slovakia - Nelapsi
Slovenia - Kresnik/Krsnik/Kruvnik/Kudlak/Pijavica/Volkodlak/Vukodlak
South America - Asema/Lobishomen
Spain - Bruja
Thailand - Krassy/Phi
Tibet - Bdemxhong/The Wrathful Deities
Trinidad - Sukuyan
Ukrainian - Dvadushni/Mavok
West Indies - Asema/Loogaroo/Sukuyan
Yugoslavia - Mulo/Tenatz/Vlkodlak/Vukodlak

After the names are listed and their descriptions, there are tighter definitions in the last section of the file.

Attachments

• Vampire Types Around The World.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 6
Oh I can't remember the name of it, but there was one undead which was indistinguishable from a living person during the day. But at night, their head would detach and would go to suck the blood from sleeping people with their tounge. If I remember right the main ways to kill it was to either prevent the head from returning to the body before dawn. Or put some sort of substance on the neck of the body. The head won't be able to reattach itself and it would die at dawn. I can't remember the name of it, I just know I came across it when I was watching a bunch of myth videos. So I have no idea if it's already on this list.

I think you might be talking about the Penanggalan. It is under the Malaysian vampires.

Reactions: CyanStargazer