Ageless
OG 2020
Grim Scribe
Magus
Vampire Scholar
Harbinger
Mar 30, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'd like to make a minor suggestion. I heard some time ago from Apocalypse that you were considering what system to use for the Vampire's many transformations. As in, whether the Vampire would have to "equip" transformations before a mission, or whether he would have all unlocked transformations readily available.

When it comes to keybindings, skill bars and multiple skills that don't fit, games have commonly used a "selection wheel" for abilities, especially when switching between variants of a specific ability. Let me exemplify:

1590940580519.png 1590940636970.png
Dishonored and Prototype, respectively.
Also known as "radial menus", they are a system that works relatively well because they fit both keyboards/mouse and controller configurations.

In Deadhaus, the Vampire could assign his transformation skill to a single slot and then by holding the skill button it would open a radial menu from where he could choose which form to transform into, from the ones he has unlocked (or assigned before the mission).

With the right sensitivity being used, you can diminish the need for cluttered interfaces and allow for people to accurately choose what transformation they want to take. And like this, you don't need to limit the amount of simultaneously possible transformations, if you don't want to.

If the need for more slots ever become a necessity, you can create a radial menu with layers. Inner and outer circles which you cycle through either using buttons or aiming at them with a mouse/controller cursor.

This can also be used to more quickly assign skills to the skill bar if you want to "switch loadouts" mid-match when you happen to have a lot of skills available, but not enough room to use them all together via keybindings.

That's all for today. :)

Last edited:
Honestly - radial menus are good for controllers but are by far not the best option to use for mouse and keyboard as they interrupt the gameplay. Being able to quickly assign shortcuts to custom keys is by far the more preferable option when it comes to m+kb. Even for controllers make it so that popping the selection wheel is something that happens only when the player wants it to happen with a quick cast option for the ability that uses the last selected or a pre-selected default option for the ability.

I agree, @Elveone. Considering the versatility that the Mouse+Keyboard has, it does not make sense to limit that just so it is similar to other systems. This is even something I complained about in the "things I'd like NOT to see" thread. But perhaps it can be adjusted. Nothing that disrupts the flow of play should be used.
In any case, these two games I used as examples do happen to have power wheels and they do not diminish the flow the of the game. Shortcuts are still available, and there are even special interactions between the power wheel and the world around you in Dishonored. They are smart, they will figure something out. :)