Long Dead
Herald of the Dead
Immemorial
Malleus Monday
OG 2020
Old World
Harbinger
Nov 8, 2020
I was watching the weather effects video and I got thinking about the Lumberyard. After taking a quick peek it looks like Lua does the heavy lifting while Script canvas appears to be a slightly complex wysiwyg (meaning if you're a little tech savvy you could probably manage it).

Actual question
Being that player contribution is expected to be a big part of developing the persistant world, I was wondering if there was plans to make it possible for players, within the game, to access tiles and tokens and similar objects to be able to create user created content in this manner?

I can imagine this would present several challenges, but it also might be something that adds a lot of function and user interaction and overall extends the gameplay loop virtually perpetually as long as folks are interested in doing such.

Obviously this has tremendous advantage (not sure about logistics to make it happen) when you look at games like FO4 and Skyrim that have dedicated content creators and cultural relevance to this day even many years after development on the game has entirely stopped (excluding creation club stuff, which is basically just paid mods).

Given the previews of stuff like the voice modulation technology and cloud storage, a single person at home without even needing a full team (though they possibly could collab with others) could in theory, provide fully voice acted scenarios for players as long as there was some way to interact with them, and also that it could be included in the ToS that the devs reserve the right, and also hope that the user intent is to use the content so that it could even be adapted into the overall world on a hand selection basis (ie, not contests, but what cool ideas come about from the communities could be developed further after lore vetting).

Tangent stuff:
Besides the interaction with these supposed "alt timeline events" (until otherwise made official) the other concern I see from a player and player created content situation is the loot balance aspect in that it would need to be locked based on certain parameters so that there is still incentive to play these alt timelines, but also that there isn't abuse of loot mechanics in them. By this I mean, there would be a max threshold on loot based on minimum requirements for the map. This would also ixnay any unique item designs but not necessarily custom NPC's/enemies as long as they were only adjust UP from base levels (ie, you can't make a weaker version of unit X without it's XP value dropping but you can increase it's potency without increasing XP).

Solution
1st Pass of the tools you will not need to use Lumberyard at all. We will be using Project Deios (https://www.dungeonfog.com/deios/) for content creation, and using the engine will not be required. Through procedural generation for narrative, level and enemy layouts, we will reduce the amount of time needed for content creations while keeping the quality high.

Later on, we will be considering working on opening-up tools for deep content creation and opening up an additional layer of quality control.
1st Pass of the tools you will not need to use Lumberyard at all. We will be using Project Deios (https://www.dungeonfog.com/deios/) for content creation, and using the engine will not be required. Through procedural generation for narrative, level and enemy layouts, we will reduce the amount of time needed for content creations while keeping the quality high.

Later on, we will be considering working on opening-up tools for deep content creation and opening up an additional layer of quality control.

Solution

That's crazy, I thought Deios was just for 2d/iso RPG maps and such, I didn't know you could load 3d environments into it. Very cool. With that kind of asset plug and play that's insane levels of easy entry.

That's crazy, I thought Deios was just for 2d/iso RPG maps and such, I didn't know you could load 3d environments into it. Very cool. With that kind of asset plug and play that's insane levels of easy entry.

Yes, that is exactly the goal. Most people don't have time to dig deep into the tech of the engine, so we want to provide tools that focus on content creation first and tech 2nd.

Reactions: klokwerkaos