The traditional Banshee is an *extremely* gendered entity, the literal translation of its Irish name (bean si or ben sidhe) meaning something pretty close to "fairy woman". Like, if we're going purely by the tradition, they're not a type of undead at all, just a type of female fairy themed after the practice of "Keening", or wailing laments at someone's funeral, which was done by real life actual women. I do think it's a very good idea to respect those traditions, while still being mindful of how they might be made more accessible for modern audiences, particularly modern audiences that are often left out.

A fun thing I discovered while reading about traditional undead mythology: Apparently Jure Grando, one of the earliest accused vampires, was said to have sexually assaulted his widow. Obviously not quite the kind of gender or sexual expression I've been asking for, but certainly not sexless. : p

• Informative
Reactions: Temuldjin
2nd hand Irishman here.

looking away from the header of this.

Games in both near and distance past have had classes locked behind race/gender and even factions before.
and I will give an example of each.

Elin (TERRA Online) Reaper class
Kerillian elf (Warhammer: Vermintide 1 & 2) Ranger

Paladins and Shamans (World of Warcraft 2004 & Now Classic)

This concept is nothing new.
Heck in looking back at the last time Psyonix made a LoK spin off (nosgoth), there were classes locked behind gender.

my tldr this isnt a build your own murder hobo workshop.
Each Class represents a type of Character with their own back story and motives and combat styles.

Lets wait for the game to come out and see from there first, before we bust out the silver and torches and pitchforks.
I said as much that people will accept it, because it has been done before. It also never felt good and was ALWAYS an unnecessary pain point in ever instance it turned up in.

I've seen nothing from others that changes my stance on it, and I don't really care that others might disagree, because their argument has yet to invalidate mine in any way.

The only argument that does is "because the devs said so" and that's more of a matter of fact than a satisfying resolution.

Additionally, since the game is funded by cosmetics, yeah, it kinda is about playing dress up for your murder hobo, so that part of your argument is also invalid.

I think we all might be closer to the same side than it appears, because I wouldn't mind a gender-neutral banshee. That's what most of the classes are going to be, I predict, since gender does not matter to the dead. Gender is how life procreates, which the dead don't do. We might be thinking too much in terms of pop culture or the current cultural tensions that I know a lot of my friends have to deal with every single day. I think what I personally am arguing against is a super buff traditionally manly banshee, as that would be absolutely wreck the immersion for me. But your banshee doesn't have to look like the one they showed today. I want to see some frail-ass ghastly banshees, and I don't care bout the boobs. Great if they're there, great if they're not. But the slider has to stop somewhere to keep it within the lore. Isn't it kind of taking away from all identifying women, who get a class where men are excluded? Seeing a role that only a woman/ feminine identifying can absolutely destroy with, it just means something to me if that makes sense. I do understand that it's impossible to make everyone happy but we can make compromises along the way.

Having said all this, what do you guys think would be a good way to represent nonbinary and trans? So others can have that same feeling I described above about watching women wreck shit. Suggestions would be awesome, maybe another class can be that representation that definitely does need to be in more games. I do however think most of the races are already going to be pretty gender-fluid by default, because as I said before it doesn't matter to the dead. I do understand wanting to feel like your character represents you, but this game might not be one to even have a lot of gender variations, aside from banshee, since we are playing horrific monsters.
Gender isn't about reproduction, it's a social construct as an expression of femme vs masculine, and those things are largely arbitrary and change over time. Consider Theodore Roosevelt, a really strong man's man of his time, was pictured in a dress as a young child, because that's how it was at the time.

The concepts of "pink for girls and blue for boys" is also relatively new to the species. All in all the concept of gender is stupid, speaking as het, cis, white, male. It literally solves nothing, is subject to mass differences based on culture and time period and geographic location, and literally solves no social ill, while managing to be a point of oppression for marginalized people (women, gender non comforming, etc.). Gender is first up against the wall when I am king.

Biological sex on the other hand, is entirely separate, and medically speaking, does matter... unless of course, you're undead and don't procreate... which is exactly the case, and that means literally nothing here because undead don't procreate traditionally, instead they are made, which makes them closer to stuff like worms that make more worms from themselves.

Point being, Nothing I am referring to is about gender. I'm talking about cosmetics. There is nothing stopping a trans person from saying their banshee has a wang, or that their manly revenant has a vagina. All of that is perfectly viable according to Dennis in an other thread. What isn't possible is to have the combat mechanics of the banshee and appear masculine.

Strictly speaking, people shouldn't be boxed in on cosmetics for game mechanics, that's always bad form, especially when the game is funded by cosmetics... if nothing else it's a bad business strategy. I understand the "why" of the decision, I just think it's a bad decision from every angle, including their lore in game.

Consider that the banshee was never alive, that means it's an other worldly creature from beyond the veil as stated... and yet... when these creatures take humanoid form... for some reason they must have boobs, because reasons... No thanks, not cool by me.

Challenge to anyone: Why MUST otherworldly creatures take boob having form when appearing humanoid?

Take all the time you need. The concept of tradition doesn't apply, because these banshees already differ in lore from the traditional.

If there's a coherent and passable explanation for why boobs must happen for magical creatures from beyond the veil, I'll be happy to hear it.

Last edited:
There are only a few changes in the lore to fit within the world - they (the devs) stated they wanted to stick with an Irish style Banshee
an Irish Folklore Banshee is.
- Originated from Keening Women - Females who sang at funerals
when folklore was established they turned into
Banshee - Beánsidhé - Beán: Woman, Sidhé: Fairy / other kind

- woman of the fairy mounds
- it is a spirit that just exists, it was not human before becoming a spirit
- mainly takes on 3 human forms (all female)
- when / if it took on other forms (animal) it was depicted as crow, stoat, hare or weasel, animals associated with witchcraft in Ireland.
- normally depected in a grey or white cloak
- is constantly combing her hair, it is a bad sign to pick up a random comb on the ground in Ireland.
- not known to actually attack anyone but people who heard her cries would usually die a violent and horrible death within a week.

So what are the BIG changes that the Devs made for deadhaus?
-- Woman of an elder god

--it is a spirit that just exists, and was sent by elder god.

-- umm... Physical, Magical, Essential

- when / if it took on other forms (animal) it was depicted as crow, stoat, hare or weasel, animals associated with witchcraft in Ireland.
--accessories that were shown in the previews represented the witchcraft aspect (though we don't know if it will have these other forms)

- normally depicted in a grey or white cloak
--depicted in a grey/white gown
- is constantly combing her hair, it is a bad sign to pick up a random comb on the ground in Ireland.
--Is / was planned to be an item / accessory for the banshee

- not known to actually attack anyone but people who heard her cries would usually die a violent and horrible death within a week.
--Given claws and the ability to do combat in the game and give violent horrible deaths within a minute

if this were a Ubume or Pontianak would there be any question as to why it couldn't be a male sticking as close to the banshee lore as the devs have?

There are only a few changes in the lore to fit within the world - they (the devs) stated they wanted to stick with an Irish style Banshee
an Irish Folklore Banshee is.
- Originated from Keening Women - Females who sang at funerals
when folklore was established they turned into
Banshee - Beánsidhé - Beán: Woman, Sidhé: Fairy / other kind

- normally depected in a grey or white cloak

So what are the BIG changes that the Devs made for deadhaus?
-- Woman of an elder god

--it is a spirit that just exists, and was sent by elder god.

-- umm... Physical, Magical, Essential

--accessories that were shown in the previews represented the witchcraft aspect (though we don't know if it will have these other forms)

- normally depicted in a grey or white cloak
--depicted in a grey/white gown
--Is / was planned to be an item / accessory for the banshee

--Given claws and the ability to do combat in the game and give violent horrible deaths within a minute

if this were a Ubume or Pontianak would there be any question as to why it couldn't be a male sticking as close to the banshee lore as the devs have?
Just stop talking to klokwerkaos because he is not going stop until he gets his way. Plus he is the only one that wants this.

• Dislike
Reactions: klokwerkaos
The banshees in Deadhaus still follow traditional Irish lore. They are messengers, prophets, seers, guides etc. others have already pointed out and even corrected me that Banshee literally means “woman of the other world” or “fairy woman” literally in the name. There’s no scurrying by the traditional lore or using other branches of traditional lore with other classes like the vampire that has multiple interpretations because Banshees only hail from Celtic myth. If there’s any other evidence of Banshee like tales from other world regions please provide.

In regards To why MUST other worldly being take the form of women well? They don’t. And because others don’t we have our branching male/female classes. Anybody can be a Rev if you hate enough, a vamoire if you have a bad run in, a wraith if you are dedicated enough, a liche if you are willing to achieve ultimate power but a banshee? It’s in the name. It’s in the history. It’s the only one of the classes so far that is so deeply rooted in the lore of its name, origin and role within the universe that it is gender locked because there’s no viable evidence historically that dude banshees exist because banshee doesn’t even mean Male. Like I suggested maybe down the line getting the “male equivalent” of a Banshee(lady of the other world, fairy woman) would be a headless horseman like character but that’d be it’s own class on its own rather than falling under the Banshee(fairy woman, lady of the world world) tree.

Look it’s not like they didn’t try. They did. Somethings just don’t work and if the Devs try and are unhappy with it. Good enough for me. Thanks for trying. Game Development am I right?

Reactions: Temuldjin
Challenge to anyone: Why MUST otherworldly creatures take boob having form when appearing humanoid?

Reverse challenge: Why MUST otherworldly creatures take penis-having form when appearing humanoid?

Take all the time you need. We have already had a thoughtful conversation about this and you aren't adding anything. It's the lore the devs want, it's historically accurate, it's what the Elder Gods chose for their messengers. Gender IS cosmetic, but this one particular cosmetic choice is not the players' to make. Plus we don't know how much control we'll have- just because KEEVA the SPECIFIC BANSHEE here has boobs, doesn't mean you have to. No one bitched that the Revenant has manly qualities in his picture. I wonder why that is? And there are so many other classes that aren't shrouded in mystery, where you were once a gendered human. This is such a small part of the game. I vote we rest this topic for now, until more is revealed by the devs.

Last edited:
Reverse challenge: Why MUST otherworldly creatures take penis-having form when appearing humanoid?

Take all the time you need. We have already had a thoughtful conversation about this and you aren't adding anything. It's the lore the devs want, it's historically accurate, it's what the Elder Gods chose for their messengers. Gender IS cosmetic, but this one particular cosmetic choice is not the players' to make. Plus we don't know how much control we'll have- just because KEEVA the SPECIFIC BANSHEE here has boobs, doesn't mean you have to. No one bitched that the Revenant has manly qualities in his picture. I wonder why that is? And there are so many other classes that aren't shrouded in mystery, where you were once a gendered human. This is such a small part of the game. I vote we rest this topic for now, until more is revealed by the devs.
Plus the Banshee tits would be decomposing flesh anyway. so i don't see why you have a problem with it having boobs

• Funny
Reactions: shinybri

As I understand it the revenant isn't restricted to be masculine cosmetically because it has a pic that shows it as such, ie, just because the art shows it as such doesn't mean it is gender locked specifically. If that were the case, i'd be against that as well. Simply put, the problem isn't the depiction chosen, but the lack of control with cosmetics. There is a big difference between "this is iconic art" and "this is locked so you don't get a choice".

-- Woman of an elder god
Why woman then? Since when do elder gods even consider silly human social constructs like gender?

The very notion of elder gods at the highest level is that they aren't even necessarily malicious to humans and such, they just cause mass chaos by existing near them as a consequence of their immense power.

It's like a human stepping on an ant hill without realizing it. That's like, the core of the concepts of elder gods from the Lovecraftian mythos.

Pretend for a moment you are making an ant emissary because magic and reasons... are you really going to spend a whole lot of time on ant gender and social customs to have your ant emissary to tell them to move their hill or be squashed, or just send something that is vaguely ant-like because your form of communication would otherwise destroy them?

The whole things falls apart in logic. The only reason is "because reasons" and that doesn't sit right. It's acceptable enough in the sense that sure, they have that right, it's not in a sense of lore consistency, or what is most beneficial to players. Because of that I'm against it.

The reason they look like women is probably because humans are stupid, and still listen to the basic of basic instincts. If they see a woman all alone, and crying, they'll probably move to either comfort or rescue them. And end up as a tasty snack. Said Banshee might also take their soul and feed it to their elder gods. As I said, the Banshee's probably don't have a gender, just a form to make hunting stupid humans stupid easy. That being, a frail woman form. Assuming that their gender is not there for a reason, makes an ass out of you and me. And probably a tasty snack for a banshee if you were living in this world.

The whole things falls apart in logic. The only reason is "because reasons" and that doesn't sit right. It's acceptable enough in the sense that sure, they have that right, it's not in a sense of lore consistency, or what is most beneficial to players. Because of that I'm against it.

Since you seem to have trouble reading, allow me to make my text real big just for you

THE LOGIC: THE DEVELOPERS WANT A BASIS IN MYTHOLOGY

Is that clear enough for you this time? Just because YOU can't grasp it "logically" does NOT preclude it from being logical.

WHEN THE ROOM SAYS YOU'RE DRUNK, SIT DOWN.

Pretend for a moment you are making an ant emissary because magic and reasons... are you really going to spend a whole lot of time on ant gender and social customs to have your ant emissary to tell them to move their hill or be squashed, or just send something that is vaguely ant-like because your form of communication would otherwise destroy them?
it's funny that you use ANTS a species that is made up mostly of females and ruled by 1 queen who gives all the rules.
the only "emissary" you could possibly send in this situation is a FEMALE queen that would have to mimic the current queen for the drones to obey it instead of just being attacked and killed before it could "relay the message..." which in this case would just be a killing the old queen and getting new orders from the new queen (The mimic) instead.....

so I have to send a FEMALE "emissary" in this case.

Drones only listen to their queen.... and they are ALL females... the males are just there to give to the queen then die shortly after...

on a side note....
The elder god(s) presented here would have a higher intelligence and understanding of that which they are manipulating or controlling and would know these things, and if they WANTED to give a chance to said ant colony to move they would take the proper means to accomplish it.... otherwise they wouldn't even send an emissary to the colony in the 1st place.... why waste the time and effort....

Because.... LOGIC....

Last edited:
This discussion made me curious and i decided to take a look on google

apparentley a male version of this spirit is mentioned in several webpages that talk about irish mitology, the are called "Far-shee" (Fear Sidhe) litteraly a man fairy or Man of the Hill (since in irish mytology banshee too are deemed to be a type of fairy spirit associeted with death and omens of disaster)

here is a link of the book from wich i found these info (but there several others):

i couldn't find much about this variant, most of what i found are just mentions of his figure (some more informations in some paranormal blogs but i didn't find solid sources in them, only "i taked about him with irish folk" which i wouldn't define exactly as reiable)

Anyway nothing remotely usable for the developement of a playable undead, too few informations, lack of reliable lore material and too many uncertainties (interesting non the less)

Hopefully some Irish fan of the game could one day provide more details about this

About the gender issue i think that a solid character creator can make everyone happy, at least for the classes that have the luck of possessing an intact (well.. more or less) body

becouse you know... about liches and wraiths i think there no need to explain

ghouls remind me from the cocept art of the falmer from the elder scroll series... i mean.. how do you even plan do create a more femine/masculine character on them? you can barely tell the males from the females and only at very very very close distance

banshee.. it is what it is, you may like it or not but lore wise they are females (and even semantic wise)
you still have space to move around imo, they may be only female like but i feel they will have the more good looking bodies and faces among the undeads (unless you deribetely choose to make them more decaing), vampires don't count (uninteded pun) because their good looking body is just a facade :p

revenant.. ok

vampire.. they can shapeshift in any beauty they want to be! we don't know the details yet but if you change your illusion appereance even in sex i would say it's perfect! npcs that know you will still refer to the gender that you decide early on and you can just change the illusion body to your liking (i'm making assumptions of course)

Anyway during the streams you can hear many times that character personalisation will be a big part of the game (i mean... ok for the merchandise but it will still be mostly fonded by cosmetic items so it makes perfect sense to me)

Character creator is basically the first and more incisive (but there may be ways to change your body later on for all we know) personalisation of your own character, i am sure it will be a good tool

Reactions: shinybri
Hopefully some Irish fan of the game could one day provide more details about this
As an Irish fan of the game, living in Ireland (born and raised) I was completely dismissed out of hand as apparently my knowledge doesn't seem to count to some folks. Setting aside my hobbies and some work over the years have been entirely about our folklore.

As a dabbler in Irish mythology - the shee, sidhe, sith or aos si are a class of creatures most commonly described as fairies and not one specific species. In addition to the Banshee you've probably heard of the Cat Sith or the Cu Sith the fairy cat and dog and there is also the Leanan Sidhe - the fairy lover but not all of the sidhe are referenced as "something shee". A quick search of the Far Shee finds a reference to it being a Leprechaun. IMO the closest male variant to the Banshee in terms of a bad omen bringer of death would be the Dullahan as it is a headless rider holding his head into this hands that rides into the night and when he stops in front of a househould a person in that household would die. When he calls out the person's name and that person would die and the Dullahan would take his soul.

As a dabbler in Irish mythology - the shee, sidhe, sith or aos si are a class of creatures most commonly described as fairies and not one specific species. In addition to the Banshee you've probably heard of the Cat Sith or the Cu Sith the fairy cat and dog and there is also the Leanan Sidhe - the fairy lover but not all of the sidhe are referenced as "something shee". A quick search of the Far Shee finds a reference to it being a Leprechaun. IMO the closest male variant to the Banshee in terms of a bad omen bringer of death would be the Dullahan as it is a headless rider holding his head into this hands that rides into the night and when he stops in front of a househould a person in that household would die. When he calls out the person's name and that person would die and the Dullahan would take his soul.
You are right and an sidhe, but I wouldn't say O'Sullivan is the closest. It would probably be the Gray Man / man of the mist / wild Hunt being the closest if there was a close comparative at all