While I can see the parallels with the wild hunt to some extent I disagree that it is similar to the banshee for two reasons. First - it is not an individual but an army of supernatural creatures. Second - it is most commonly the cause of the death rather than the harbinger of it and it is on a far larger scale in general. I am not familiar with the Gray Man and the man of the mist and the only things I seem to be finding online do not seem to be related to the concept of the banshee in any way so can you please elaborate on those?

Also I am guessing you are writing from a phone and the autocorrect did a number on your post. :)

While I can see the parallels with the wild hunt to some extent I disagree that it is similar to the banshee for two reasons. First - it is not an individual but an army of supernatural creatures. Second - it is most commonly the cause of the death rather than the harbinger of it and it is on a far larger scale in general. I am not familiar with the Gray Man and the man of the mist and the only things I seem to be finding online do not seem to be related to the concept of the banshee in any way so can you please elaborate on those?

Also I am guessing you are writing from a phone and the autocorrect did a number on your post. :)
Yeah silly autocorrect ruined me on many occasions. From a folklore standpoint (forget movies and videogames for now) the while hunt, the grey man and the man of the mist are all rooted from the same legend. They are the coming of the frost. The dew in the morning, the creeping death. All from Celtic / Dacian / Thracian. In Irish folklore the man of the mist ( jack frost to those who don't get it) does not so much cause death but signals it as the coming of the frost with it brings death from exposure, Illnesses, killing crops and animals and such. They grey man is very similar but is the mountain version where the Banshee would be the valley/ Lakeland or river version (story changes depending on who is telling it or where you live). The wild Hunt is the same as jack frost so to speak. The same explanations from different territories. And just to pop the bubble, sadly it comes down to foxes... 😉

I can see where you are coming from but I disagree because I think we are talking legends and attributed qualities of mythological creatures and not their non-mythological sources. Moreover I think that the wild hunt's historical inspiration might stem as much from invading nomadic armies as from the frost and the mists.

I can see where you are coming from but I disagree because I think we are talking legends and attributed qualities of mythological creatures and not their non-mythological sources. Moreover I think that the wild hunt's historical inspiration might stem as much from invading nomadic armies as from the frost and the mists.
A lot of it varies depending on what qualifying sources you wish to draw from, especially considering many of these come from areas where their stories and cultures were handed down in oral traditions. But good to know not only is my culture wrong according to many Americans but I'll need to inform a few Polish and Romanian friends and relatives that their history and cultures are also incorrect. Anyone else need to make any historical corrections to the old world we need to be aware of?

also, not the best example, but a quick search brings up: https://norse-mythology.org/the-wild-hunt/

Last edited:
A lot of it varies depending on what qualifying sources you wish to draw from, especially considering many of these come from areas where their stories and cultures were handed down in oral traditions. But good to know not only is my culture wrong according to many Americans but I'll need to inform a few Polish and Romanian friends and relatives that their history and cultures are also incorrect. Anyone else need to make any historical corrections to the old world we need to be aware of?

also, not the best example, but a quick search brings up: https://norse-mythology.org/the-wild-hunt/
It is not like your ancestors told you specifically that the stories of the wild hunt are based on a specific event or a concept - it is a scholar analyzing the stories that gives you that conclusion. And it is likely not "either or" in this case - it is most likely both as those events did happen historically and they were part of the forming of the culture of a lot of places.

Would you mind not involving nations and cultures in this matter overall and keep the discussion on a friendly interpersonal level? My opinion does not invalidate anyone elses and neither does yours. If you want to get geographical - it is 2 PM here right now. I am not a native of Ireland or Scotland which is why I asked you for the stories about those creatures that you were talking about and I've never heard about. Still we all have stories passed down to us and some o them might be more common than you would think from an initial glance. There are quite a few books to read on different matters as well. If you want to stick with a single opinion - you are welcome to. But in those matters I found discussion to be far more productive than a solid stance of something we can never be sure about as we are distanced from it by centuries and we have no firm historical documentation about. I would continue to elaborate on my thoughts only if you ask me to... or if somebody else does but I can assure you my assumptions are far from baseless :)

All of these answer are just semi reinforcing that a "Male Banshee" isnt really a thing from what I've gathered skimming already. A character creator would be nice even if its "pick head A, B, or C". I'm wondering if it will come later on down the line? the team is really tiny so i cant imagine it will be anytime soon. I imagine if there will be one later it most likely will take from Warframe or Bloodborne.

As an Irish fan of the game, living in Ireland (born and raised) I was completely dismissed out of hand as apparently my knowledge doesn't seem to count to some folks. Setting aside my hobbies and some work over the years have been entirely about our folklore.

Do you ever heard of the term "Farshee" before?

Seeing the discussion between you and Elveone i'm starting to belive that this Farshee and the Man of the Mist/the Gray Man could be the same figure with a different name maybe due to being terms from different areas of Ireland

One thing that i noticed is that this "male shee" doesn't seem to scream like his female counterpart, at least for what i could find screams are never mentioned (still he exert the same role as a bringer of death/disaster)

All i could find about his "voice" was in a blog about paranormal (so as i said don't take this as a reiable source) where it is described to make a sort of guttural rattle almost like an animal cry, i don't know if this ring any bells to you guys

Reactions: Elveone
Do you ever heard of the term "Farshee" before?

Seeing the discussion between you and Elveone i'm starting to belive that this Farshee and the Man of the Mist/the Gray Man could be the same figure with a different name maybe due to being terms from different areas of Ireland

One thing that i noticed is that this "male shee" doesn't seem to scream like his female counterpart, at least for what i could find screams are never mentioned (still he exert the same role as a bringer of death/disaster)

All i could find about his "voice" was in a blog about paranormal (so as i said don't take this as a reiable source) where it is described to make a sort of guttural rattle almost like an animal cry, i don't know if this ring any bells to you guys
Farshee isn't a thing.

Farshee isn't a thing.
i bet they just googled it and took it at face value. When people can make up anything on the internet and say it is fact. It most properly started as fan fiction. Plus i would trust an Irishman more then some people who just looked at google.

It is on google but it is two words. Try searching for
"far shee" fairy
with the quotation marks included.

It is on google but it is two words. Try searching for

with the quotation marks included.
If I do that on a private window (to exclude any interference from my previous searches) I get that the translation of far shee is fairy man. Other than that, and the link that it has with banshee (which translates into fairy woman, and that is the only link it has), it does not lead me to any known creature of myth and legend.

If I do that on a private window (to exclude any interference from my previous searches) I get that the translation of far shee is fairy man. Other than that, and the link that it has with banshee (which translates into fairy woman, and that is the only link it has), it does not lead me to any known creature of myth and legend.
i put "far shee" fairy in google and i found very little. i looked at many different sites and the word did not show up. only the word fairy showed up on one site with banshee under it but had a lot of other Ireland folklore creatures under it. The site used fairy as the name for the group they fall under. it was a Ireland folklore wedding site so am not sure how trustworthy that is. Am sorry am not trying to be mean Elveone but i could not find the word. If you think you are right then show us some sites that say otherwise. Plus i would trust mike more since he knows what he is talking about when it comes to Ireland folklore from what i have heard from him in discord voice chats.

i bet they just googled it and took it at face value. When people can make up anything on the internet and say it is fact. It most properly started as fan fiction. Plus i would trust an Irishman more then some people who just looked at google.

There are no "they", it was me who found the term on google since i was genuinely curious about the discussion

And i didn't take anything at face value, i posted what i found (specifying where i found the informations and that unfortunatly i couldn't find a riable source) and asked if someone ever heard of it (Faceless Mike and Elveone specifically becouse they seemed the most knowledgeable on the topic)

"i bet they just googled it"

yes i didn't go to the airport to buy a ticket for Ireland and ask around to the locals to satisfy my curiosity

Last edited:
Reactions: Elveone
As interesting as this continued discussion would be, an endless circle not withstanding, i vote we just close this thread. The horse has been killed, beaten, resurrected and killed again.

Oh, there is very little to find, mostly a mention in an old book under the description of a banshee.
This is the thing that mentions it as a counterpart of the banshee: https://blogs.lib.ku.edu/spencer/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Yeats_Y194.pdf
Here is a thing that says it is a leprechaun: https://www.duchas.ie/en/src?q=leprechaun&t=CbesTranscript&ct=LG
As you can see the validity of both is pretty suspect but the word does appear here and there it seems.

The phrase "The name corresponds to the less common Far Shee" is literally all it says. The Yeats book has this sentence, and every other mention on the internet has this exact plagiarized sentence. Excluding of course the tumblr & angelfire sites.

Again. Far Shee isn't a thing.

Yeats in 1888
THE BANSHEE.
[THE banshee (from ban \bean\ a woman, and shee \sidhe\ a fairy) is an attendant fairy that follows the old families, and none but them, and wails before a death. Many have seen her as she goes wailing and clapping her hands. The keen \caoine\, the funeral cry of the peasantry, is said to be an imitation of her cry. When more than one banshee is present, and they wail and sing in chorus, it is for the death of some holy or great one. An omen that sometimes accom- panies the banshee is the coach-a-boiver \c6iste-bodhar\ an immense black coach, mounted by a coffin, and drawn by headless horses driven by a Dullahan. It will go rumbling to your door, and if you open it, according to Croker, a basin of blood will be thrown in your face. These headless phan- toms are found elsewhere than in Ireland. In 1807 two of the sentries stationed outside St. James's Park died of fright. A headless woman, the upper part of her body naked, used to pass at midnight and scale the railings. After a time the sentries were stationed no longer at the haunted spot. In Norway the heads of corpses were cut off to make their ghosts feeble. Thus came into existence the Dullahans, perhaps ; unless, indeed, they are descended from that Irish giant who swam across the Channel with his head in his teeth. ED.]

Yeats in 1890
THE BANSHEE.
[The banshee (from ban \bea7i\^ a woman, and sJiee \sidhe\ a fairy) is an attendant fairy that follows the old families, and none but them, and wails before a death. Many have seen her as she goes wailing and clapping her hands. The keen \caome\ the funeral cry of the peasantry, is said to be an imitation of her cry. When more than one banshee is present, and they wail and sing in chorus, it is for the death of some holy or great one. An omen that sometimes accom- panies the banshee is the coach-a-bower [cdiste-bodhar] — an immense black coach, mounted by a coffin, and drawn by headless horses driven by a Dullahan. It will go rumbling to your door, and if you open it, according to Croker, a basin of blood will be thrown in your face. These headless phan- toms are found elsewhere than in Ireland. In 1807 two of the sentries stati'oned outside St. James's Park died of fright. A headless woman, the upper part of her body naked, used to pass at midnight and scale the railings. After a time the sentries were stationed no longer at the haunted spot. In Norway the heads of corpses were cut off to make their ghosts feeble. Thus came into existence the Dullahans^ perhaps j unless, indeed, they are descended from that Irish giant who swam across the Channel vvith his head in his teeth. — Ed.]

Yeats in 1892

9. The Banshee (Ir. Bean-sidhe^ />. fairy woman). — This fairy, like the Far Gorta, differs from the general run of solitary fairies by its generally good disposition. She is perhaps not really one of them at all, but a sociable fairy grown solitary through much sorrow. The name corresponds to the less common Far Shee (Ir. Fear Sidhe), a man fairy. She wails, as most people know, over the death of a member of some old Irish family. Sometimes she is an enemy of the house and screams with triumph, but more often a friend. When more than one Banshee comes to cry, the man or woman who is dying must have been very holy or very brave. Occasionally she is most undoubtedly one of the sociable fairies. Cleena, once an Irish princess and then a Munster goddess, and now a Sheoque, is thus mentioned by the greatest of Irish antiquarians.
O'Donovan, writing in 1849 to a friend, who quotes his words in the Dublin University Magazine^ says : * When my grandfather died in- Leinster in 1798, Cleena came all the way from Ton Cleena to lament him ; but she has not been heard ever since lamenting any of our race, though I believe she still weeps in the mountains of Drumaleaque in her own country, where so many of the race of Eoghan More are dying of starvation.' The Banshee on the other hand who cries with triumph is often believed to be no fairy but a ghost of one wronged by an ancestor of the dying. Some say wrongly that she never goes beyond the seas, but dwells always in her own country. Upon the other hand, a distinguished writer on anthropology assures me that he has heard her on ist December 1867, in Pital, near Libertad, Central America, as he rode through a deep forest. She was dressed in pale yellow, and raised a cry like the cry of a bat. She came to announce the death of his father. This is her cry, written down by him with the help of a Frenchman and a violin.

musicbarbanshee.PNG

He saw and heard her again on 5th February 1871, at 16 Devonshire Street, Queen's Square, London. She came this time to announce the death of his eldest child ; and in 1 884 he again saw and heard her at 28 East Street, Queen's Square, the death of his mother being the cause. The Banshee is called badh or bowa in East Munster, and is named Bachuntha by Banim in one of his novels.
Other Fairies and Spirits. — Besides the foregoing, we have other solitary fairies, of which too little definite is known to give them each a separate men- tion. They are the House Spirits, of whom *Teigue of the Lee' is probably an instance ; the Water Sherie, a kind of will-o'-the-wisp ; the Sowlth, a formless luminous creature ; the Pastha (Piast- bestia\ the lake dragon, a guardian of hidden treasure ; and the Bo men fairies, who live in the marshes of County Down and destroy the unwary. They may be driven away by a blow from a particular kind of sea -weed. I suspect them of being Scotch fairies imported by Scotch settlers. Then there is the great tribe of ghosts called Thivishes in some parts.
These are all the fairies and spirits I have come across in Irish folklore. There are probably many others undiscovered.
W. B. Yeats.
Co. Down, June 1891.

Providing this, for context.

The entire section is rewritten. It doesn't even mention the Far Shee before or beyond this in the entire book. Not saying I know, but to me, this looks like one of those things you throw in your writing so you can identify plagiarists.

wait so far shee is only in the 1892 copies of this book and not in the older versions. Plus it is only like 5 words in the whole book. This was their smoking gun. which seems kinda weak.

• Agree
Reactions: Temuldjin
As interesting as this continued discussion would be, an endless circle not withstanding, i vote we just close this thread. The horse has been killed, beaten, resurrected and killed again.
This thread should of ended awhile ago. The horse at this point is so dead that it does not even look like a horse any more and is just flesh on the ground