wait so far shee is only in the 1892 copies of this book and not in the older versions. Plus it is only like 5 words in the whole book. This was their smoking gun. which seems kinda weak.
They are different books, but they are the same author and they cover the same materials with largely the same structure.

Reactions: Skull
The phrase "The name corresponds to the less common Far Shee" is literally all it says. The Yeats book has this sentence, and every other mention on the internet has this exact plagiarized sentence. Excluding of course the tumblr & angelfire sites.

Again. Far Shee isn't a thing.
Well, unless you want to rewrite reality it is obviously a thing. A thing that someone found and asked about. It is not a male banshee in the terms of it being a male harbinger of death but it is a male banshee in terms of banshee meaning woman of the sidhe and far shee meaning man of the sidhe. And as you can see there is an independent account for the term being used for a leprechaun.

Well, unless you want to rewrite reality it is obviously a thing. A thing that someone found and asked about. It is not a male banshee in the terms of it being a male harbinger of death but it is a male banshee in terms of banshee meaning woman of the sidhe and far shee meaning man of the sidhe. And as you can see there is an independent account for the term being used for a leprechaun.

Do you know what "an independent account" is?

An anomaly.

The "independent account" for those still reading this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Temuldjin
Do you know what "an independent account" is?

An anomaly.

The "independent account" for those still reading this thread.
Do you know what not being a thing is? Not existing anywhere. The thing is obviously mentioned in multiple places. Denying a thing is mentioned somewhere when you have the place that mentions it right in front of your eyes is asinine. What are going going to argue next? The translation of the term? That it obviously is from the same mythology?

And do you know what an anomaly is? An anomaly is something that is not normal. So either the text that mentions the term "far shee" as a counterpart of the banshee is the normal and true one as it is most spread out or one of the 3 unique texts that mentions the term on the internet is not an anomaly but a relative part of the discussion. So which one is it? Is the "far shee" the male counterpart of the banshee or is it a vague term that any information available for is relevant?

i don't think it means anything. since it's like one book that you found that uses the word In the book i think it's just a throw away line that should be ignored. If the word was widely used in many books then maybe you would have a point. Roband even said the thing does not even scream so how can it have anything to do with the banshee when it's main factor is that it screams. it could even just be a word that very few people use for some other creature that has nothing to do with the banshee.

This my last post here because this has just been a waste of time since far shee is such a reach.
The image is me running away from this dumb thread.

EggkPM-VoAANCzR.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Purple Gryphon
i don't think it means anything. since it's like one book that you found that uses the word In the book i think it's just a throw away line that should be ignored. If the word was widely used in many books then maybe you would have a point. Roband even said the thing does not even scream so how can it have anything to do with the banshee when it's main factor is that it screams. it could even just be a word that very few people use for some other creature that has nothing to do with the banshee.

This my last post here because this has just been a waste of time since far shee is such a reach.
The image is me running away from this dumb thread.

View attachment 660
Perhaps if you have bothered to read as much as you bother to disagree you would see that for quite some time I've been saying that Far Shee is a generic term for a male fairy that was sometimes used for a leprechaun and not a counterpart of the banshee.

Do you know what not being a thing is? Not existing anywhere. The thing is obviously mentioned in multiple places. Denying a thing is mentioned somewhere when you have the place that mentions it right in front of your eyes is asinine. What are going going to argue next? The translation of the term? That it obviously is from the same mythology?

And do you know what an anomaly is? An anomaly is something that is not normal. So either the text that mentions the term "far shee" as a counterpart of the banshee is the normal and true one as it is most spread out or one of the 3 unique texts that mentions the term on the internet is not an anomaly but a relative part of the discussion. So which one is it? Is the "far shee" the male counterpart of the banshee or is it a vague term that any information available for is relevant?
"The thing is mentioned" you say.
Mention 1 is saying "it's a leprechaun"
Mention 2 is saying it's the male counterpart to the banshee.
Here is a third mention I've found saying it's what people call Manannán mac Lir
HERE IS ANOTHER Where its says there are TWO types, and one of them are demons "who took on themselves human bodies of men or women, and by making love to the sons and daughters of men, and revealing to them delusive views of a glorious prospective immortality, seduced them into a fatal union by which they were forever lost from God." This one is special though. It is the first one in our entire data set, (4 points) to SOURCE IT.

All mentions which take the two Gaelic words for fairy (male), and of the mounds (is that right Mike?), cram them together and end up with so many different things.
NOT. A. THING. Yep, Doubling down here.

An anomaly in any give data set does NOT mean that the anomaly is "real" (in quotes because myth can only be so real).

There are literally more accounts of bigfoot THIS YEAR than there is for your Far Shee.

===========This is where I was when I saw the new replies.===========
I'm not deleting any of this, It's all glorious and I love it.

Perhaps if you have bothered to read as much as you bother to disagree you would see that for quite some time I've been saying that Far Shee is a generic term for a male fairy that was sometimes used for a leprechaun and not a counterpart of the banshee.

I don't think that was clear.

As you can see the validity of both is pretty suspect but the word does appear here and there it seems.

I presume this is your turn? I took this more as "the word is there it must be a thing". Not "I concede Banshee men aren't a thing, but maybe Fir Shee Far Shee Ben Shee Fear Sidhe Man Shee Banhee or W/E you want to call it is just a blanket term for a concept of fairy dudes"

• Informative
Reactions: Temuldjin
Then why post it in a thread about banshee. my god start a new thread then. Plus you were talking about it in relation to banshees

Because someone asked about it and I explained what it is.

"The thing is mentioned" you say.
Mention 1 is saying "it's a leprechaun"
Mention 2 is saying it's the male counterpart to the banshee.
Here is a third mention I've found saying it's what people call Manannán mac Lir
HERE IS ANOTHER Where its says there are TWO types, and one of them are demons "who took on themselves human bodies of men or women, and by making love to the sons and daughters of men, and revealing to them delusive views of a glorious prospective immortality, seduced them into a fatal union by which they were forever lost from God." This one is special though. It is the first one in our entire data set, (4 points) to SOURCE IT.

All mentions which take the two Gaelic words for fairy (male), and of the mounds (is that right Mike?), cram them together and end up with so many different things.
NOT. A. THING. Yep, Doubling down here.

An anomaly in any give data set does NOT mean that the anomaly is "real" (in quotes because myth can only be so real).

There are literally more accounts of bigfoot THIS YEAR than there is for your Far Shee.

===========This is where I was when I saw the new replies.===========
I'm not deleting any of this, It's all glorious and I love it.

I don't think that was clear.

I presume this is your turn? I took this more as "the word is there it must be a thing". Not "I concede Banshee men aren't a thing, but maybe Fir Shee Far Shee Ben Shee Fear Sidhe Man Shee Banhee or W/E you want to call it is just a blanket term for a concept of fairy dudes"
Really now?
As a dabbler in Irish mythology - the shee, sidhe, sith or aos si are a class of creatures most commonly described as fairies and not one specific species. In addition to the Banshee you've probably heard of the Cat Sith or the Cu Sith the fairy cat and dog and there is also the Leanan Sidhe - the fairy lover but not all of the sidhe are referenced as "something shee". A quick search of the Far Shee finds a reference to it being a Leprechaun. IMO the closest male variant to the Banshee in terms of a bad omen bringer of death would be the Dullahan as it is a headless rider holding his head into this hands that rides into the night and when he stops in front of a househould a person in that household would die. When he calls out the person's name and that person would die and the Dullahan would take his soul.

Oh, there is very little to find, mostly a mention in an old book under the description of a banshee.
This is the thing that mentions it as a counterpart of the banshee: https://blogs.lib.ku.edu/spencer/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Yeats_Y194.pdf
Here is a thing that says it is a leprechaun: https://www.duchas.ie/en/src?q=leprechaun&t=CbesTranscript&ct=LG
As you can see the validity of both is pretty suspect but the word does appear here and there it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roband
Then why post it in a thread about banshee. my god start a new thread then. Plus you were talking about it in relation to banshees

Because at a certain point the discussion diverted about if the term exists or not instead of his meaning or if it could be associeted with banshee or with other figures

And i posted here because in the websites where i found the term it was associeted with banshee (to whom almost everyone including me agreed that should be female only because it is historically reppresented having a female form) but since i am not a irish folklore expert i asked if someone know something about it

Granted, english is not my first language but i thought i had been pretty clear from the beginning

Reactions: Elveone
Hi @Calypso, I understand you're frustrated with this thread, however, we will be keeping this discussion open as we appreciate the views from all of our community. We want everyone to feel comfortable to share their views and opinions.

The only rules we ask people to follow are the same ones we have on our Discord. I will add them here in case anyone else would like to read them as well.

1. No Racism, Harassment, Discrimination of any kind. Please leave your political and religious views at the door.
2. Respect the staff and others at all times. You are welcome to have debates and critical discussions but keep it civil. No name calling, personal attacks or any other disruptive behavior.
3. No Spam.
4. No advertisements without express permission. (i.e. Twitch streams, YouTube Channel promotion, etc.)
5. Memes are fine, but no NSFW content.
6. Most importantly have fun!

I'd like to give my two cents on this, if its even worth that much, and I'm aware others have already said similar things.

First off I think gender might be the wrong way to look at it, its more like an alignment.
If I understand the lore of this game the banshee isn't an undead that once lived a human life but rather something that manifested on the other side of death, so they aren't really even female or women but seen as such because they are feminine in form. With this in mind and depending on how extensive the character creator is it could be possible to create banshees that might be regarded as male; but I would also argue that they should be limited when it comes to what measure of masculinity is possible. This would enable what might be regarded as male to be possible among the banshee but limited to something affeminate, like a smooth skinned pretty boy.

Thats the way I could see it working out, either way I look forward to seeing them in the fight.

Late to the party but I'll post anyway (it's not locked!) I might be off the bet but the Banshee comes off as handmaidens and wisewomen, perhaps even as Oracles. Should they remain feminine becasue the developers/lore says so? I think the developers should stay and remain on their vision for the class but to play both side of the coin maybe as a "subclass" to lore in which male "banshess" are mentioned and therefore in the lore.

Personally, I am fine with as they are. I don't there is a need to change them.

Last edited:
I fundamentally disagree with the premise of this topic, not only does It goes against the Mythology / Lore of the " Monster " In question, It also goes against the game design / developer philosophy regarding said monster.

I fundamentally disagree with the premise of this topic, not only does It goes against the Mythology / Lore of the " Monster " In question, It also goes against the game design / developer philosophy regarding said monster.
Please don't start up this thread again. I got an email about this post.

Totally 100% behind gender-locking banshees. This is not a "build myself an avatar of me" game. These characters are UNDEAD and they are NOT the player. There is zero need to cater to someone who wants to feel "represented" by a lore-breaking change. Let the sliders be sliders, but keep it true to lore. If someone wants to play a banshee, let them play a banshee with its iconic shriek, otherwise another class will be for them. No big deal.