Hm, Vampires/Revenants/Ghouls are all undead, sort of like three sides of a coin (...what? never seen a four-dimensional coin?), a bit like so:

Vampires: upper-class, drink blood, sleep in their coffins
Revenants: middle-class, drink blood or eat flesh, sleep in their graves
Ghouls: lower-class, eat flesh, live on the graveyard

If all of those are going to be in the game, maybe there should also be three ghost-y classes for balance, something like:

Wraith: strong presence, shape-shifting, visible
Spectre: medium presence, fixed shape, can become visible of invisible at will
Poltergeist: weak presence, shapeless, invisible

By "presence" I mean like how much the character is a part of the world. For instance:

Weak presence properties:
- Can easily walk through walls
- Can only engage in direct combat with enemies that are low on sanity
- Can more easily manipulate inanimate objects

Strong presence properties:
- Walking through walls has restrictions (amount or thickness of walls)
- Lesser low-sanity requiremend to engage in physical combat
- Inanimate objects work more like they do with classes that have physical bodies

What about constructs with a particularly undead feel to them?
bone/flesh golems that maybe don't pick up weapons, they just get a particularly useful limb attached.

Reactions: Pawniuss and derula
I'd personally like to see a wendigo (get various bonuses for chowing on particular enemy types) and some sort of ghost/phantom that could use reflective surfaces to "teleport" about the map.

It would be funny to have all those classes and then a class "Goth," which is just a bitchy teenager who is into Panic! At The Disco, keeps complaining about conformists, claims to be an expert on all things undead, but pisses their pants and runs away once actually confronted with monsters IRL.

It could be an April fool's content update :D

Last edited:
Are we talking enemies? NPC? Or player characters?

I have always been partial to werewolves.

Are we talking enemies? NPC? Or player characters?

I have always been partial to werewolves.

We are talking player classes - A vampire is a player class - like a berserker/bioengineer combo - a revenant is like a defender :)

Sorry if this was not clear :)

Last edited:
It would be funny to have all those classes and then a class "Goth," which is just a bitchy teenager who is into Panic! At The Disco, keeps complaining about conformists, claims to be an expert on all things undead, but pisses their pants and runs away once actually confronted with monsters IRL.

It could be an April fool's content update :D
Or worse... "Fanfiction Author", runs around the arena complaining about the tropes used in the game, how enemies shouldn't act how they do because "THAT'S NOT ACCURATE TO THE MYTHOLOGY", etc.

• Funny
Reactions: derula
Can I ask a wizard class? An arcane magic user that can either become a summoner to raise and command an army of minions or an articifer to create various types of golems depending on what the player is aiming at; power, defense, balance.

And please if you decide on a wizard class don't make them so awfully weak as they usually are on MMORPGS compared to other classes. Of course, a warrior is always going to be physically stronger than a wizard (except maybe this guy) but a wizard should have magic and/or artifacts to compensate that in the same way warriors improve their defenses with magic armor and weapons. I don't know why wizards are always the weakest class, perhaps only second to bards.
I usually like magic-users/long range attack characters so please make a badass option with those features.
And in case you don't think classic wizards can be lovecraftian enough, this example may change your mind.

Reactions: Denis Dyack
Another way of going about this wizard class for Deadhaus Sonata would be some sort of unholy priest/cult leader that makes a pact with an ancient god, becoming its herald in exchange of the power and wisdom of ages. So the guy/gal would basically go around unleashing psychological and physical horror on their victims, turning them into vessels for their god, which would be visually apparent when the victims' bodies become deformed with the limbs of the god popping out from them, and at that point they would become the priest's minions. So it'll be like a summoner class.
Like the villain in the movie The Void, or Rasputin in Hellboy.

Can I ask a wizard class? An arcane magic user that can either become a summoner to raise and command an army of minions or an articifer to create various types of golems depending on what the player is aiming at; power, defense, balance.

And please if you decide on a wizard class don't make them so awfully weak as they usually are on MMORPGS compared to other classes. Of course, a warrior is always going to be physically stronger than a wizard (except maybe this guy) but a wizard should have magic and/or artifacts to compensate that in the same way warriors improve their defenses with magic armor and weapons. I don't know why wizards are always the weakest class, perhaps only second to bards.
I usually like magic-users/long range attack characters so please make a badass option with those features.
And in case you don't think classic wizards can be lovecraftian enough, this example may change your mind.

How about a Liche and something like this:
331147_lich_nezhet_koldun_mag_vojsko_2500x1667_www.Gde-Fon.com.jpg

There are multiple types of undead in different parts of the world but one class of undead that would be interesting to see be made is a Jiang-Shi from Chinese mythology. If keeping in line with traditional Chinese mythology they would have high health and defense as Jiang-Shi are considered invincible. But they’re slow because they can only hop around. I guess Jiang-Shi would make a perfect tank class.

Another possible spell caster class could be the Japanese Yuki-onna. Technically translated as “snow woman” but are considered to be women who died in a blizzard and can manipulate ice and snow. Would be fun to play as a cold hearted killer who could freeze people or slow them down.

Reactions: Iain Stenhouse
There are multiple types of undead in different parts of the world but one class of undead that would be interesting to see be made is a Jiang-Shi from Chinese mythology. If keeping in line with traditional Chinese mythology they would have high health and defense as Jiang-Shi are considered invincible. But they’re slow because they can only hop around. I guess Jiang-Shi would make a perfect tank class.
Another possible spell caster class could be the Japanese Yuki-onna. Technically translated as “snow woman” but are considered to be women who died in a blizzard and can manipulate ice and snow. Would be fun to play as a cold hearted killer who could freeze people or slow them down.

These are really cool suggestions - thank you. The realm of the undead is vast and we have been looking into various cultures for inspiration and classes. I really like the suggestion of Yuki-onna and although upon release we are focusing on Gothic traditions, we do plan on opening things up beyond this of course!

One thing that I realized might make a good undead race. A Frankenstein race. A corpse reanimated from science rather than magic like a lich.

GARGOYLES! And other flying types. How cool would that be, an actual flying character class in a world of games that mostly force you to stay on the ground because flying over them would break them.

GARGOYLES! And other flying types. How cool would that be, an actual flying character class in a world of games that mostly force you to stay on the ground because flying over them would break them.
They wouldn't even have to fully fly imo. Gargs like floating ghost type characters could easily have some kind of "able to stand in the fire, because they don't actually stand" mechanic going on. Because I mean... Don't stand in the fire.

• Funny
Something I thought of while playing a different game is a class which causes multiple debuffs. Like vulnerability and less damage dealt. Primarily deals damage with crits and such but can cause debuffs which benefits the whole party. This could be something that a specter could do.