Malleus Monday
OG 2020
Dog Adopter
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Dec 11, 2018
iantroll.wixsite.com
Since the Ghoul Reveal I saw a bunch of people swapped from Vampire to Ghoul, and maybe even a few others. So I though getting a show of hands for who is interested in what undead would be nice. This is for all 7 of them.

Mostly Lich and Wraith. Though, really, with them all being some variation of undead, I'm interested in them all.

Reactions: punkintheband
I divided the classes in tiers of preference (as of today)
I premise that Wights won't be in the list becouse even if it is the class i'm more curious about i can't properly place it as a preference since we still don't know anything about them

1° Tier: These are my fovourite so far, i put them in first and second places becouse are in my opinion the most alien among the undead both visually, mentally (i assume) and physically and this is why i think i'm so fascinated by them and they resonate with my tastes so much (although banshee may technically be more alien since they never had a human past life)

. Wraith: Overworldy. It really gives you the vibe of something coming "from the other side" as if death itself is coming for you (and just like death you wont't see them coming). I love that they will be the "assassins" of Deadhaus becouse it enforce even more the feeling of impending doom around them.
. Ghoul: Aliens. Truly in the physical sense. The mechanic of mutating depending of what they eat is fascinating and i am curious to see what will be the full exent of it becouse on paper it has a terrific potential. My close second preference but it is really close.
Both classes have the additional perk of being never used in videogames by players (exept "Warcraft 3" but it's an RTS game not an RPG. So to me is like apples and oranges and it doesn't really count)

2° Tier: My 3th and 4th places. These classes are placed here becouse have always been my favourites undead types in fantasy (expecially vampires since Dracula was my first horror read)

. Lich: Inscrutable. Wild, unadulterated power barely conteined. I typically use mages as first characters in fantasy games and i always enjoyed playing them. This and the fact that Liches are among my 2 favourites and you never get to use them in games put the lich right in the 3th place. Black magic is the best magic ;)
. Vampire: My favourite undead. The death that allures you in his cold spires. And a lot of materials that made me love them even more during the years. Not to mention Kain is probably my fovourite protagonist in videogames. But as much as i love it i have to put him in 4th place since many games let players use vampires unlike liches. It will still be my main character, as a personal omage to Blood Omen.

3° Tier: These are classes that intrigues me a lot and i will eventually try them but they don't resonate with me as much as Tier 1 and they don't have to me a special sentimental attachment like Tier 2 either. Definitelly cool non the less, i can't wait to see more of them

. Banshee: Mysterius. The fact that it is the only undead without a past mortal life and the fact they are prophets among the undeads with a special "relation" with the King.. Love it, so much potential in terms of lore and story. I have the feeling that they have their own agenda even more then the other factions. They also don't seem to be perfectly right in the head which makes me think obout the concept of truth and the fact that the more you come close to the truth the more power you have but also the more mortals come close to it the more they fall into madness becouse they cannot fisically and mentally bear it.
Banshee are not mortals for sure yet they appear to be pretty unstable... but if my assumptions are correct... just how much they know? And how much are they letting others know? Not to mention their "master", i wonder what will be his role in the story and if playing Banshee will put you somehow in a different prospective of things..
. Revenant: Destruction incarnate. Poor Revenant deserves so much better than last position... I think he is inspired by the monster trope of an unstoppable force that you can't fight (at most slowing it) and if you try you will only speed up your own demise (Fryday the 13th for example). I really like him and when i play warriors in games i always use giant juggernauts in heavy armor with 2 handed weapons so he should be the best for the job right? But for all the reasons i mentioned before i have to put him in last place even if i really don't want to. But as i said i eventually will try them all so hang in there Revenant! I will get to you i promise!

If I had to go by art alone I would rank them in the following order:
Ghouls - truly outstanding art.
Revenants - they seem okay. The main art is kind of meh but the Ashen Ring art looks pretty good.
Wraiths - a little bit too generic fantasy for me.
Banshee - same as the previous one but worse as I think there is a lot of a missed potential here - a dead woman with torn throat and clawfingers is way too generic imo.
Vampire - atrocious art. For a vampire. It is okay if I saw him in Shadow of Mordor but an undead orc is not how a vampire should look like.

Still, the vampire seems to be the jack of all trades class with the most versatile build options so I am still most interested in it.

P.S. Is it just me or did the art revamp that was supposed to make the creatures look more monstrous and unique actually did the opposite? I mean the vampire got changed into something that can be more easily described as a monster but he was supposed to be the human-looking class, wasn't he? The revenant changed from this hulking heap of bones and flesh into a real human looking corpse. The ghoul changed from one awesome looking monster inspired by gladiator traditions into another awesome looking monster that is more... werewolfy IMO. We have not seen yet the new liche art and we do not know the old banshee art but the old Liche art looks better than the new Banshee art in terms of it being a monstrous undead creature. The Wraith... everytime I see it I see a warcraft concept art and while that is not bad in itself it is not monstrous. So... does anyone else see this? What happened?

Last edited:
If I had to go by art alone I would rank them in the following order:
Ghouls - truly outstanding art.
Revenants - they seem okay. The main art is kind of meh but the Ashen Ring art looks pretty good.
Wraiths - a little bit too generic fantasy for me.
Banshee - same as the previous one but worse as I think there is a lot of a missed potential here - a dead woman with torn throat and clawfingers is way too generic imo.
Vampire - atrocious art. For a vampire. It is okay if I saw him in Shadow of Mordor but an undead orc is not how a vampire should look like.

Still, the vampire seems to be the jack of all trades class with the most versatile build options so I am still most interested in it.

P.S. Is it just me or did the art revamp that was supposed to make the creatures look more monstrous and unique actually did the opposite? I mean the vampire got changed into something that can be more easily described as a monster but he was supposed to be the human-looking class, wasn't he? The revenant changed from this hulking heap of bones and flesh into a real human looking corpse. The ghoul changed from one awesome looking monster inspired by gladiator traditions into another awesome looking monster that is more... werewolfy IMO. We have not seen yet the new liche art and we do not know the old banshee art but the old Liche art looks better than the new Banshee art in terms of it being a monstrous undead creature. The Wraith... everytime I see it I see a warcraft concept art and while that is not bad in itself it is not monstrous. So... does anyone else see this? What happened?

I see it too for the revenant, the early concept art seemed to be more monstrous compared with the last one. Maybe the appereance was just functional to the Alaric encounter, i think that it could have something to do with the concept of eras and how time eventually has it's toll to the undead (deforming them, mutating them, decomposing them, whatever you can think of). So maybe the Revenant of the story awekened recently and for the type of story it was better to show this version.

Vampire i think is the same, just showing how a very old vampire could potentially look like (but in Legacy of Kain vampires are pretty different in how they become more monstrous when they age so maybe Lord Zorin is just an example and an equally ancient vampire may look differently while still vey scary). I think Vampires are probably the most problematic to rappresent becouse of how spread is the mith and how many forms it took over time in different places and interpretetions of the mith (even in fictional production just think how different is the count in Dracula compared to the one in the movie Nosferatu). In World of Darkness they managed this by giving different versions of the legend in different clans but as it is now it would seem subraces are not a thing. At the very least i would personally give him more fangs, i think there are not quite as large and scary as i would immagine them to be (even with few light and not exactly close it should give the clear visual warning that he can tear away your neck and probably your head in one bite, maybe extending the jaw opening and making it a bit bigger could do the trick)
I know what you mean though (the classic one, Dracula style) but i still think they will be the more "human blending" race, the gamplay videos up to this point and the first art make me think so and if my theory is correct even if they are old it has been confirmed that they can just make themeself look anyone they want to be.
But if they make also a concept art for a more human version but that still looks scary af i'm all in for it (put him red eyes and a nightmere instead of a mouth and you already have a nice start).

Wraith and Ghoul i think are amazing (i'm not very familiar with wow so maybe i missed some reference there), the wraith can maybe be a little more visually like made of darkness/shadow but it'already great for me even though i'm sure it can be made even more monstrous (and also we have not seen his magic form yet just the phisical and ethereal), ghoul reminded me of Venom from marvel instead of a werewolf 😁 To me it looks far more monstrous now than before, it would be cool to see it with some armor on though just to make a better comparison with the previous art style.

For Banshee i think it's the opposite of vampire, my guess is that they wanted to show the more humanoid version, the spirit in the old legends mistaken for a crying young woman util you get close and realise it's not. I like it but i would also like to see an "angry" version before deciding how much, for now i would say that for me it is good but not as good as the ghoul and wraith.

Speaking of Banshee, there was some old concept art of them

I'm dropping the link below just in case and if you want chek it out (y), there is an article, a video interview with Denis and some early art (beside banshee there are also pictures of Lich and of what i assume is an early ghoul concept)

https://venturebeat.com/2019/02/21/denis-dyack-is-coming-back-from-the-dead-with-deadhaus-sonata/

Reactions: Elveone
The ghoul is my favourite ,love the art and lore.
Though Lich is a close second.

Honestly - all of them. I excited for all of them; art, lore and all! I would make a character for each one and try to play each one in roleplay or whatever. It is not often we can enjoy a 'monster'-focused game and by Kain, I will take them in full embrace. If I had to choose, Vampire. I think people aren't as excited for it is because they have the 'first class, so first acceptance' vibe that early things tend to get while the game is getting developed and the latter classes get the 'updated' works.

I am ready to snatch throats and drink deep of the sanguine with sword wet red.

Vampire, though if a dragonhaus is gonna be made then I'll be making one those on the side, but main would be a vampy.

While we haven't seen updated art on them, I love the idea of the lich, lore rise that your basically a immortal sorcerer eho serves the fetid prince's army sounds badass, and gameplay rise I really wanna see crazy magic being cast unto our enemies and raise them as support against enemies, if not definitely considering ghoul or wraith though I wanna see the Weight before being 100% who my first build is.

The Revenant has been my desired calss since the day I learned about Deadhaus, back before the new art. The concept of being so absolutely enraged that you claw your way back from death to ensure the world knows you are angry is all I needed to hear. I cannot wait till I get to wield an axe so large that I could cleave a force of humans in one great swing. I also fell in love with the idea of N'gaztak being one of us, yet he keeps his hatred in control and is even a poet and scholar. It showed that even though we are born as forces of raw destruction, wanting little more than to reduce the world to ash, that we can forge that hatred into a weapon that can be used for and by Deadhaus. The Ashen Ring revenant is also honestly my favorite of the pictures now.