Danteu

Ripe
Feb 9, 2021
If it's to play well on consoles I can imagine 4-6 abilities being usable as to not overwhelm console players. Has there been consideration using button modifiers to increase ability options outside of 4-6 meaningful button presses? For example you could toggle overlays for different toolbars to give more situational choices for controller users similar to how Final Fantasy XIV does? Meaning you could hold down say a trigger or shoulder button to pull up an overlay that replaces the default four face buttons and shoulder/triggers on a controller with other skills you placed there. This allows you to bind more abilities to a controller without sacrificing complexity to appeal to a more casual audience.

The lack of meaningful choices is what killed Diablo 3 for myself and many others. Playing Diablo 3 on hardcore difficulty with so few options made the game ultimately feel boring and unengaging. I would end up playing at the highest end difficulty being carried by passive set bonuses and paragon levels doing all the work. It inevitably turned the game into a boring loot pinata AoE fest that gave very little engagement outside of seeing your screen blink red once you managed to take some damage. BFA in WoW had the same problem where they made everything passive and player engagement was at virtually at 15% with 85% of the work being done by passives.

I want this game to succeed. I'm a firm believer that it's better to have big toolkits and only need a few abilities for most encounters. This allows PvP/PVE to be unique and engaging while also allowing those players of higher skill ceilings to rise to the top. Having only a few abilities needed to overcome basic challenges leaves plenty of room for players to grow and add complexity to their rotations and situational needs as they discover they need to evolve to meet the challenges of the game.

Solution
Yes, this will be dependant on classes. The more twitch/action-based classes (Revenant) will have fewer, while the more strategical bases classes (Liche) will have more.