Dog Adopter
Grim Scribe
Prophet
Vampire Scholar
Old World
Harbinger
Sep 16, 2020
USA
We know that so far the entities we have are all based off western mythology, but Denis and Jack have mentioned there will be other houses based in eastern mythology too somewhere down the road. I love Japanese folklore but unfortunately my knowledge is a bit limited to that specific country so I'll mostly be talking about that. Plus there's a ton of crossover with Japanese and Chinese mythology. Feel free to throw more stuff in the chat, I know I will miss a ton but this is just a quick overview to get things started.

A significant portion of the Yokai are based off a single person who was wronged (like the slit-faced woman, or that one who counts dishes), and even more are definitely gender-locked (there are SO MANY old hags who eat children or beautiful women who are actually monsters), but I think with some creative liberties there can be some really cool creatures in this house (and hopefully minimal weebing and waifu-making). Also sorry if the format is shit, if it is I'll try to fix it. I don't usually have this much to say so I never needed to learn anything. Oh well!

Oni-

Obvious one, basically a demon ogre, pretty iconic. Like every single yokai it comes in a billion different forms.

Obake-

Shapeshifters. The most well-known are the Kitsune (Huli Jing in Chinese?) and Tanuki, but I don't think Deadhaus is going to have a magical raccoon with powers coming from its ballsack so I'll focus on the Kitsune. They are often clever foxes and shapeshift into humans to play tricks on them or sometimes even to seduce them. This is probably where things could potentially turn into waifu simulator, as there a tons of anime and media about sexy fox ladies or anime girls with cat ears... I digress. They can blend in with humans, much like Vampires, which could be interesting. They probably wouldn't be as powerful but extremely quick. There is also the nine-tailed fox, but there are already so many depictions of it in pop culture so I dunno. Pokémon actually did a shockingly decent job of representing it in the old TV show. The Ninetails episode was one of my favorites.

There is a massive shrine, or rather thousands of shrines together, called Fushimi Inari dedicated to the kitsune (or so it would appear, there are so many foxes you'll explode) and it's absolutely gorgeous. One of my favorite places in Kyoto and you get to hike up a bajillion stairs to reach the main temple on the top of the mountain. In actual Shinto I'm pretty sure there were no sexy fox ladies and it had an entirely different meaning altogether, but religion is super convoluted and confusing to me and changes so fast I get whiplash. Research leads to five million different interpretations so have fun with that, maybe someone else can narrow it down to something that better fits Deadhaus. I've already gotten super off-topic for this one.

Kappa-

Yo this one is pretty fucking weird when you get real deep into it and I love it. It has been known as river turtle frog thing that can't bend over or the water on the crown of their head will spill, causing them to be unable to move. I can't even remember where I saw this, I think it was a children's cartoon? Kids these days can't handle the TRUTH. I like the other nasty version better, obviously. They were originally created to scare kids so they stay away from rivers and don't drown themselves like idiot kids are wont to do, and I guess they took a page from the German book of folklore and decided to make it scary and extremely uncomfortable. There is apparently some kind of gem of life force within humans that resides in the anus, and the Kappa are absolute fiends for it. If a human falls into their river, they will for real reach up your asshole and forcibly take this gem, killing you in the process. I'm not making this up. Anyway I'm sure DHS could gleam some kind of inspiration from this water-based territorial entity and hopefully leave out the awkward penetration. Or keep it in, actually that sounds way more fun.

Tsukumogami-

Spirits who possess inanimate objects, the most iconic one being an umbrella. But some kind of ghost that can travel between things to possess is a pretty cool idea and could leave a ton of room for the player to get creative.

Yurei-

Yurei basically translates to ghost, they are the Revenants of Japanese mythology. They're tied to this earth, kept from a peaceful afterlife because of something that happened to them; perhaps they died in a horribly gruesome way or seek revenge. I'm pretty sure it's not willingly but I could be wrong or it could be different for each. Their stories are less comical than a lot of the other ghost stories and they can cause natural disasters and widespread destruction of they are not appeased.

Tengu-

They are bird-like creatures, which also could leave a ton of room for creativity for DHS. In human form they have huge noses (the red mask you often see at festivals) and the stories/descriptions about them differ wildly, as do most of the mythos here. Some describe them as tricksters but others say they're more powerful and basically like to start shit, cause wars, etc.

Gashadokuro-

When large groups of people aren't given the proper burial ritual, for example there is something like a huge war or natural disaster that leaves countless bodies, a Gashadokuro is formed. I'm pretty sure Nito from Dark Souls was inspired by this. It's a huge pile of bones made into one huge skeleton, basically. They feed on human flesh and are perhaps akin to ghouls on that level.

I hope this can spark some conversation! It's barely scratching the surface but it's the ones I can think of right now and the ones that stuck out to me as potential for Deadhaus. Also there is an insane of overlap and different interpretations between all of these Yokai, don't get confused. But that leaves even more room for creative liberties! Also I left out most of the religious aspects because I am kind of ignorant there, but a lot of them have roots in religion obviously.

Attachments

• kappa.jpg
    kappa.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I love the ideas behind this, definitely an area I find super interesting too.
It also makes me think of a lot of the spiritual/occult elements of Onmyodo and the Onmyoji who practice it and their shikigami! Super awesome topics imo

Reactions: shinybri
WeebHaus lol i dig it. With how the world is going to be structured(possibly) we might even see it :)

Reactions: esa and shinybri
If they do then I most definitely will play a Yurie. The possibility of being reborn for many reasons could lead to interesting character. In order to remain thematic for me though I would have to be a Funayūrei. I would love to have a ladle for a weapon as well.

Reactions: esa and shinybri